|C.5|

✼✼✼✼✼✼✼✼

✼✼✼✼✼✼✼✼

5.
      The words that were inked to her skin seemed to send her body into a frenzy of emotions. Blake turned around abruptly, a shiver crawled down her bones. "Th-the bomb?"

Newt nodded, corners of his mouth frowning. "They called you that on that sheet of paper outside too."

Blake shook her head. "What..."

So many questions flew around her head, none she was able to answer. It frustrated her. As she thought though, her eyes stumbled to Thomas. He always knew the answers to the weirdest unexplainable things. "Thomas, what do you think it means?"

"I—uh. I don't know. Sorry, Blake," Thomas shook his head, his eyes showed confusion and sadness for not being able to help. "Newt, can you read mine?"

"I already did―"

Blake noticed an odd expression had come over Newt's face. It was the look that you gave when you had a secret that you didn't know you should tell. But that only made her more curious. "What does it say, Newt?"

"Thomas, you're Subject A-two," Newt answered. His eyes lowered.

"And?" Thomas pushed.

Newt's eyes looked to the side, then answered without looking at Thomas nor Blake. "It doesn't call you anything. It just says ... "To be killed by Group B.' "

Before anyone could say anything, a clanging bell began ringing throughout the room. The noise blared across the room, causing Blake to push her hands against her ears. Everyone around her seemed to have a recognition for the sound, but she didn't find anything familiar about it.

The sound blared, pounded in Blake's head—which was already sore from whatever they gave her when they knocked her out. The worst part was that the sound wasn't stopping.

The Gladers paced about the room like bees, searching the walls and the roof, trying to figure out the source of the noise. Blake wanted to help, but she couldn't see very well due to her eyes being squinted to try and reduce the pain of the drilling pound of head acne. Instead, she sat on the bed, hands pressed against the side of her head. No one was having any luck finding anything. Unfortunately, the sounds never diminished, only grew.

Minho and Aris came out from the bathroom, both of them rubbing the backs of their necks like they could erase the tattoo. They then started pacing around the room searching for answers. It didn't take long for them to realize that the others had similar tattoos. Frypan had walked over to the door leading back out to the hallway and was just about to touch the palm of his hand to the spot where Blake guessed some sort of handle used to be.

"Wait!" Thomas shouted over the noise. He ran over to join Frypan at the door, Newt trailing behind him. Blake uncovered her ears to be able to hear their conversation, impulse because the loud noise almost made her recover her ears.