|C.6|

✼✼✼✼✼✼✼

✼✼✼✼✼✼✼

6.
       The light flickered on to reveal an empty hallway. Blake thought she would feel some sort of relief, but as she felt Thomas freeze beside her she realized that something was wrong.

Newt nudged past them, walking forward with his slight limp, something she never asked him about. He walked until he stood in the very center of the room's carpeted floor. "This is impossible," he said, turning around a long circle motion, gazing up at the ceiling. "Not enough time passed for someone to get them out. And no one else even came into this buggin' room. We would've heard them!"

The bodies...Minho and Thomas had mentioned them to her. Now they were gone. Of course, she had never seen the bodies, but telling by the reactions around her they must have been bad. And getting rid of them so fast-

"We should know by now—nothing is impossible," Blake shook her head. Her with Grievers, them surviving the Maze, everything they had been through had beaten the impossible.

Blake walked out in the hallway, stepping to the side with Thomas to lean against the wall. Other Gladers with Toby and Aris came out of the small dorm room. As each boy entered the hallway, their faces filled with confused awe.

"You're right," Minho said to Newt. "We were in there with the door closed for, what, twenty minutes? No way anyone could've moved all those bodies that quickly. Plus, this place is locked from the inside."

"Not to mention getting rid of the smell," Thomas added.

Minho nodded, deep-set eyes searching the room.

"Well, you shanks are right smart," Frypan said through a sign. "But take a look around. They're gone. So whatever you think, somehow they got rid of them."

Blake shrugged, staring at her bare feet. "I suppose that's one way to think of it."

"Hey," Winston said. "Those crazy people quit screaming and yelling."

Blake's head snapped back up, she looked at Thomas with confusion.

Thomas shifted, nodding. "I thought we just couldn't hear them from Aris's room. But you're right―they stopped."

Soon everyone was running for the larger dorm room on the far side of the common area. Blake and Thomas followed behind the group. Mixed emotions washed a wave across her. Maybe she followed because she was curious, or maybe it was because she didn't want to leave the Gladers alone. A pit hollow filled her stomach.

"No way!" Minho yelled from up ahead, snapping her back. She watched as he disappeared inside the room without another word.

As Blake drew closer she noticed the hesitation in the boys. Their eyes wide as they stared at the door. She recalled how Minho walked in without another thought. He was brave, one of the qualities she admired. Slowly the rest of the boys entered the dorm. Blake waited for a second as each Glader and then Aris and Toby piled their way inside before she walked in too.