|C.2|

✼✼✼✼✼✼✼✼✼

✼✼✼✼✼✼✼✼✼

2.
      As she slowly awoke voices and words burned together like acid. Even with her eyes closed, she swam in a pool of dizziness. Felt tender and raw of everything. She felt so tired like every drop of energy was soaked from her body, but the sounds around her were so heated and loud, they shook her head with each word.

"I'm not going to ask you again. What did you do to her?" She heard some say, the voice full of anger.

"Nothing! I found her like this," a boy said high with defensive.

"Well, I don't think she was magically knocked out! Where the bloody hell did you come from in the first place?"

"And where is the other girl?" That was Thomas for sure.

"Uh, there was no other girl. And that's a long, long story," someone said with a chuckle. "I think I know what happened to her. She doesn't look to be struck to the head or choked to the point of unconsciousness. So she must have been drugged. Beats me who did it, but I swear it wasn't me!"

"Mhm, I bet."

"Ya got a lot of explaining to do. You and your friend."

It was silent for a moment...

"Yeah, yeah we know. Once this is all settled I'm sure we will all be great friends."

Blake's eyes fluttered opened but were only to be quickly closed when she was blinded by the burning light above. A groan escaped her lips as she tried to grow more awake, but the drossy feeling of sleep still heavily lingered.

Someone's head blocked the light, allowing Blake to see the face of a boy that was inches from hers. He stared down with eager curiosity, his eyes glowed brightly with their walnut color. The light gleamed off his bouncing brown curls.

This boy wasn't a Glader, but he seemed too familiar, she had known him from before the Maze. Where? She didn't know.

The boy's expression hardened, his eyebrows knitted with confusion. "Your eyes..."

He trailed off.

"Blake, what happened? Where's Teresa?" Thomas asked, walking closer. The other boy took a step back, falling next to someone unfamiliar. Another boy who wasn't a Glader.

Then Blake caught on to what Thomas had just asked. Teresa!

Suddenly, Blake seemed more awake. "Someone took her. I tried to stop them, but that just got me a needle in my neck and my body asleep on the floor."

Blake sat up, her limbs felt heavy and fuzzy, asleep. She tried to rub them awake.

"You know who they are?" Newt asked, from one of the bunks.

She shifted her gaze. Both Newt and the other guy wore the same kind of clothes they'd all been given the night prior―clean pajamas with a button-up shirt and light blue flannel pants.

She shrugged.

"What's your two names anyway?" Thomas asked his voice gruffly.

The one boy straightened up. "I'm Toby. This here is Aris."

The boy, Aris, had olive skin, his hair was cut surprisingly short compared to the other boy, Toby. His face carried an innocent annoyance, his dark eyes flickering around the room.

"There's our names, now who are all you?" Aris asked, his voice hinted with sarcasm.

Newt got even closer to the new guys than Thomas and Blake were. "We ask the bloody questions. There are a lot more of us than there are of you. Tell us who you are."

Toby took a step in front of Aris, his face had a friendly smile. Newt didn't look amused. "Well, what do you want to know, dudes? Oh, and dudettes."

Thomas looked like he wanted to punch the guy. "How'd you get here? Did you see what happened to the girl who slept here last night?"

Toby shrugged. "Look. We only saw this girl here. We didn't even know there was another girl. What's her name again?"

"Teresa," Thomas turned to point back in the direction of the door to the common area. "There's a sign right out there that says this is Blake's and her room. Teresa Agnes. No mention of a shank named Aris or Toby."

Blake's face was crippled with confusion. "Agnes?"

Newt nodded. "Yeah, and there is a sign that says 'Blake Taylor' on it too."

"Taylor?" She shook her head, never recalling the name.

Aris held out his hands in a propitiatory gesture. "Look, man, I don't know what you're talking about. They put us here last night, we found a girl on the floor. They shut and locked the door on our faces before we could ask a question. While Toby tried to get her to wake up I slept in that bed"―he pointed to the one with the rumpled sheet and blanket―"and I woke up about five minutes ago and took a pee. Never heard the name Teresa Agnes in my life. Sorry."

Newt shrugged slightly, then turned back to Aris. "Who put you in here last night?"

Aris let out a huff, throwing his arms up in the air, then slapping them against the side of his leg. Before a word could come from his mouth, Toby whispered something with the roll of his walnut eyes.

"Bunch of people with big guns came and recused us, put us on a bus, drove us here then separated us from our group. They started telling us that everything was going to be alright and that crap."

"Group? Rescue? Rescue you from what?" Thomas asked.

The two boys looked at each other, their eyes sharing the same terror of memories. The wordless trauma they both had experience.

"From the Maze, man. From the Maze."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So we're introduced to some new characters, yay! I hoped you liked the chapter and Merry late Christmas, but Happy New Years. I hope 2021 will be better than 2020 because let's face it the year kind of sucked.

Anyway, see you in the next update. Thank you for reading, <3 Marie.

 Thank you for reading, <3 Marie