|C.8|

✼✼✼✼

✼✼✼✼

8.
       Minho was the first to break the silence. "I think we've all gone psycho like those ... what'd they call themselves again? Cranks. The Cranks at the windows. We're all sitting here waiting for a lecture from Rat Man like this is totally normal. Like we're at some kind of school. I can tell you this much―if he had anything good to say, he wouldn't need a freaking magic wall to protect him from us, now, would he?"

"Just slim it and listen," Newt said. "Maybe it's all gonna be over."

"Yeah, right," Minho said. "And Frypan's gonna start having little babies, Winston'll get rid of his monster acne, Thomas here'll actually smile for once, and Blake's hair will magically straighten."

The four of them gave Minho a dirty look. Thomas even turned to Minho and twisted his face into a smile. "There, you happy?"

"Dude," he responded. "You are one ugly shank."

"If you say so."

"Can you ding-dongs shut up," Blake sneered, peering her head over at them. Newt nodded in agreement. "Right. Now let us all shut our bloody holes. I think he is about to start."

"Hallelujah. Let's all be well-mannered civilians and listen to Mr. Rat man," Minho remarked.

Blake threw a yet-to-be-bitten apple at Minho. The fruit hit his shoulder, then rolled behind him. "Hey!" In return for his sharp glare, Blake grinned slyly then titled her head to look over at the so-called Rat Man. He finally placed his long feet on the floor and sat the book on the desk. He scooted his chair back, the wheels creating a rolling sound against the tile floor. He rummaged through his messy drawer. Finally, he slapped down an unorganized file of messy papers.

"Ah, here it is," Rat Man said in his scratchy voice; then he opened one of the folders. His eyes finally fixed on the group in front of him, taking them all in. "Thank you for gathering in an orderly manner so I can tell you what I've been ... instructed to tell you. Please listen carefully."

"Why do you need that wall!" Minho shouted.

Newt reached around Thomas and punched Minho in the arm. "Shut it!"

Rat Man continued, unfazed. "You're all still here because of an uncanny will to survive despite the odds, among ... other reasons. About sixty people were sent to live in the Glade. Well, your Glade, anyway. Another sixty in Group B, but for now we'll forget them."

"Does that mean Aris and me?" Toby asked. "Where are the girls?"

The man's eyes flickered to Toby. Then Aris. "All will be found out soon."

"When is soon?"

"Soon," The Rat man said, his voice telling him that topic was not up for discussion anymore.