Chapter 16 - "Adiós Amigos."

Angelina's POV

I arrived at the location for the funeral. I got out of the car. The moment I stepped out I saw Jan. I walked over to him and gave him a hug. He did lose his brother after all. We stopped moments later and we went to talk to some of the other people.

I turned around and saw all my friends. I gave them a half smile and they all walked over to me and hugged me. We haven't done a group hug in a very long time and it felt nice, I felt like I had my friends back. They all pulled away a couple of minutes later.

I looked beside me and saw Adam. He grabbed my hands and held them.
"Do you need anything?" He asked.
I took a deep breathe, not believing what I was about to ask. "Can I hold your hand when it starts?" I asked.
"You can hold my hand for as long as you want." He gave me a smile and kissed my forehead. "Now come on. The funeral is about to start."

~

The ceremony was going on. We all just finished saying a prayer. Then a familiar face caught my attention. It was Coach Bombay, holding the the oldest Duck jersey there ever was. It said Hans with the number 11 on it. He placed it on Hans' coffin.
"Every time you touch the ice, remember it was Hans who taught us to fly." He said.

That was when I couldn't hold it together anymore, I let go of Adam's hand, which I had been holding for the whole ceremony and tears started falling down my face. Adam pulled me into his chest and held me there. He was the only person that could calm me down right now.

As I was holding Adam, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned around and saw Coach Bombay. I went in for a hug and he accepted.
"Its okay. Remember he was proud of you and always will be." He said and I nodded.
"And remember that he was extremely proud of you too Coach." I said, wiping my tear.

~

We decided to walk over to a bench near by and we sat down. He went on to tell me what he was planning to do tomorrow with Charlie.
"I think that's a good idea. Charlie was never open to Coach Orion because he couldn't let go of the fact that you wouldn't be there. I think this will help him learn." I said and Coach nodded. "It was nice seeing you Coach." We hugged once more and I left.

~

I saw my friends sitting on a couple of benches talking, everyone except Charlie.
"I guess death does bring people closer, huh?" I said, catching their attention and they all smiled. I walked over to them and sat down.
"You know what we haven't done in a long time." I said.
"What might that be Ange?" Julie asked with a smile.

"When was the last time we played some school yard puck?" I asked. The smile on the faces of my friends grew.
"Let's go play on one of the courts tomorrow. I think we all kind of forgot what it's like to play for real pride, as Russ would say." I said and everyone started cheering.

~

Adam's POV

Ange shot the puck in and Goldberg couldn't save it.
"That's not fair! No one can save any of Ange's shot! What the fuck!" Goldberg threw his stick on the ground.
"Stop throwing temper tantrums Goldie and keep playing!" I said with a chuckle.

"Hey, stop defending your girlfriend!" Goldberg complained.
"Goldberg do you want to die today?!" Ange yelled from across the court, and I burst into laughter.
"Okay, okay, I'll shut up."
"About time!" She yelled, which made me laugh even more.

~

Angelina's POV

"Hey, it's Coach Bombay." Dwayne pointed towards them. I turned around and saw Charlie and Coach.
"Damn, Conway what took you so long?" Russ asked.
"Come on!" Averman yelled.
I skated up to him. "Took you long enough, Spazaway." I said with a smile.

~

"Yeah!"
"Put him in the trash can!" We yelled while lifting Coach up and putting him inside.

Today was a fun day. The death of Hans really did bring us together.

~ (the next day)

We were getting on the bus because we had an away game.
"Mendoza."
"Fulton."
"Sparks." I went and sat next to Dwayne.
"Conway?" I heard Coach say and I looked up. Charlie showed up.

"I want to be on the team, Coach. I want to play two-way hockey. Can I come back?" Charlie asked.
"Take a seat. We're running late." Coach said and everyone started cheering. "Lets go. We got a game to catch."
Charlie's high-fived everyone and sat down next to Russ, in front of me.
"Oh man, you should have seen your face. 'Oh, Coach. I want to play two-way hockey. Can I come back?' ." Russ mimicking Charlie, making me laugh.

I flicked my fingers hitting the back of his head. "Ow bitch!" He held his head and turned around and glared at me.
"Looks like someone finally found a brain." I joked and everyone laughed, including Charlie.
"Very funny." He replied, starting to turn around. I slapped him at the back of the head. "Ow! What!?" He turned back around again.

"Call me a bitch one more time, and I will hurt you." Then I gave him an innocent smile.

Suddenly, my facial expression changed, which made everyone look in the direction I was looking. Buckley got on the bus.
"I almost missed you. Coach, you mind if I have a few words with your boys?" He asked. I cleared my throat loudly, catching his attention.
"Um, what are we? Roaches?" I gestured to Connie, Julie and I.

"And girls." He corrected himself.
"If you can make it quick, Dean. We're running late as it is." Coach said.
"I'm afraid this is important. We have a board meeting scheduled tomorrow and, well, you all are on the agenda. We have to think long-term here, what's in your best interests." We were all confused.

"Hard as it is for me personally,  because your kids have been a breath of fresh air around here. The board is going to approve the withdrawal of your scholarships." What the fuck.
"Now, you'll be welcome to stay through the end of the semester. But after that, it will be necessary for you to enjoy other educational opportunities."
"Unbelievable." I mumbled, now glaring at him.

"Dean. I need a word with you." Coach jumped in.
"I think I've said all I need to say." Dean said.
"No, now." Coach walked off the bus and the Dean followed.
" 'Other Educational Opportunities?' What's he saying, Russ?" Dwayne asked.
"I'll put it in terms you can understand. Adios Amigos." Russ made clear.

I got up and opened a window and looked out of it so I can hear their conversation. I felt my teammates standing behind me.
"So that's it? You're dumping 'em, just like that?" Coach asked.
"Coach, I'm sorry. Your team isn't performing and I've been under enormous pressure." Buckley defended.
"From who? The alumni group? A bunch of aging pep clubbers?"

"Ted, I'm trying to do you a favour. With those kids gone you'll get to pick your own team. Let's face it, the Ducks are drowning."
"Son of a bitch." I muttered.
"I got my team. Either they stay or I go." Coach said, making us all smile. He's defending us.
"We'll miss you Ted." Buckley walked away.

We got of the bus and stood by Coach.
"Why us?" Dwayne mumbled.
"Cause he's a slime." Charlie said.
"I know where that dude lives." Luis added.
"We're just pawns, puppets for the stage show, jesters to entertain the king, barnacles on the bottom of-" Averman rambled.
"Shut up!" Russ interrupted.

"Coach, is this legal? I mean don't we have contracts or something?"
"Look at you trying to be smart." I said under my breathe.
"I don't know what it is. All I know is we're gonna fight it." Coach said.
"Damn right we are. Let's get those fuckers." I encourage

----------------------------------------------------------
That was Chapter 16! Hope you enjoyed!
-author