#20

Essence

"Bored are we?" a voice came from behind me, disrupting the solitude of the stifling apartment. Alone, surrounded by stoic men in black suits, none of whom seemed inclined to converse.

I reclined on the couch, observing an upside-down Easton with his arms folded, an amused glint in his eyes. I let out a sigh, inhaling deeply. "Aren't you supposed to be out with the rest of the Fantastic Five?"

He chuckled before taking a seat beside me. "Nah, auctions aren't my thing, and they're just setting up now. It starts in like an hour," he shrugged nonchalantly.

"So, you're not going?" I inquired.

"Prefer to stay with you, to be honest," he said, flashing me a smile. I arched an eyebrow in response and nodded.

"What's with these bodyguards or emotionless G.I. Joes?" I glanced at the one stationed by the door. Easton glanced at him before turning back to me.

"Regardo, you can take a break for now. I'll watch her," he instructed, and the imposing man nodded silently before exiting. Typical.

"I don't even need to be watched," I muttered. Easton raised his brows and looked at me intently.

"Mhm," he hummed. "Right, well..." He was interrupted by the door swinging open, revealing a harried Jacob rushing in, still wearing yesterday's clothes and with his hair disheveled.

"Long night, buddy?" Easton chuckled.

Jacob's eyes widened when he spotted us. "Shut up," he retorted, darting into the bathroom beside us to freshen up.

"Don't you have your own place to shower at?" Easton yelled after him.

"Obviously, but my parents think I'm staying at yours for the weekend," Jacob yelled back. "And since someone didn't want to help out at the auction, I have to do twice the work." The sound of running water accompanied his words as he shut the door.

"Someone had to watch over her," Easton explained, making his way to the fridge.

"I don't need to be watched!" I protested, getting up and moving to a stool by the counter.

He leaned on the counter, resting his chin on his palms. "Well, I'm not the one you have to convince, princess," he said, smiling.

"I will literally punch your face in," I said seriously, mirroring his stance.

"What? Killian gets to give you a nickname, but I can't?" he retorted, throwing his hands up dramatically.

"Okay, drama queen. I don't like either name. Just stick with my birth one, thank you very much," I replied, smiling.

"Whatever. Anyway, there's no food in this depressing place. Wanna order?" he asked, pulling out his phone from his pocket.

I shrugged. "Sure," and headed back to the couch.

Jacob emerged from the bathroom, buckling his belt. "Hey, Ess, sorry you couldn't come. There are a lot of shady people who would love to get their hands on you," he explained, fixing his hair.

"I didn't want to go in the first place," I admitted. Why would I? I'd be like a black sheep there.

"So, how's Harry?" I inquired, smiling, crossing my legs on the couch. Jacob's face turned red as he rolled his eyes.

"What? I saw him pick you up last night. You can't keep secrets from the alternate detective," I teased.

He narrowed his eyes. "Okay, Sherlock," he muttered.

"Do you like him?" Easton chimed in with his mouth full of chips.

"Hey, I thought you said there was no food, dumbass," I scolded him. He hid the bag and shrugged.