13

THE TWO MEN STOOD OVER THE TANGLE OF DISCARDED ROPES lying in the snow, Will began. Erak pursed his lips, then turned to Halt. "Well, so far, you're right," he said. "The little beggar escaped once Olak pretended to fall asleep on guard duty." He glanced sideways at the large Skandian who had been assigned to the last watch. "You did pretend to fall asleep, didn't you?" he added, with a touch of sarcasm. Will and Horace both snickered.

The warrior grinned easily at him. "I was wonderful, Jarl Erak," he said. "You've never seen such a lifelike impersonation of a sleeping man. I should have been a traveling player."

Erak grunted skeptically. "Nice to know you had so much faith in us," Svengal quipped. "So what now?" he asked Halt.

"Now, I follow him while he leads me to the main body of Temujai," the Ranger said. "As we discussed last night."

"I've been thinking about that," Erak replied. "And I've decided we're going to make a change. Crowley raised an eyebrow. I'm going with you."

This time, it was Gilan who raised an eyebrow. "And both of you managed to get out alive?"

Halt shrugged. "Mostly. The horse could have killed him." Everyone laughed.

Halt had been walking toward the spot where the horses were tethered. He stopped and turned to face the Skandian leader, a determined look on his face. "We discussed this last night. We agreed that I would be quicker and less noticeable if I went alone." The four Rangers nodded agreement.

"No. We didn't agree that. You agreed that," Erak corrected him. Crowley snorted. "And even if you're right, you're just going to have to settle for being slower and noisier, and make allowances for the fact."

"You're a brave soul," Crowley remarked. Erak grinned, while Halt glared at them both.

Halt drew in breath to begin a protest, but Erak forestalled him.

"Be reasonable," he said. "We've agreed that circumstances seem to make us temporary allies—" Halt snorted.

"Which is why you'll keep my three companions here as hostages," Halt put in sarcastically, and Erak simply shrugged.

"Of course. They're my surety that you'll come back.

"I could have said you'd been caught," Halt remarked. "It wouldn't be an unbelievable idea, and even if they did try to fight back, we'd get out one way or another."

Erak raised an eyebrow. "Thank you for your confidence in my men." Halt shrugged.

But put yourself in my shoes. If there is a Temujai army out there somewhere, I don't want to take a secondhand report to my Oberjarl. I want to see it for myself. So I'm coming with you. I may need you to track the prisoner, but I can do my own looking." Halt scoffed.

He paused, waiting to see Halt's reaction. The Ranger said nothing, so Erak continued: "After all, the hostages might ensure that you come back. But they're no guarantee that you'll give me an accurate report—or even an honest one."

"And what would I have gained from lying to you?" Halt asked, an eyebrow raised.

There wasn't much Erak couldn't say to that. After all, Halt had known they'd come after Araluen after they were finished with Skandia.

Halt seemed to weigh the statement for a few seconds. Then he saw a possible advantage. Crowley snickered.

"All right," he agreed. "But if you're coming with me, there's no need to keep my companions as hostages to guarantee my return. Let them go back across the border while you and I go find the Temujai."