30

"Here, Arald." Rodney handed the book to the Baron.

ERAK LOOKED AT THE FIGURE STANDING BESIDE HIM IN THE stern of the wolfship and, for the hundredth time, was unable to prevent a broad grin from breaking out across his face.

Will raised an eyebrow. "What was so exciting?" The Oberjarl laughed, while Halt glared at him.

Halt noticed the look, and the grin, and said in a sour tone, "It must lose its fascination after a while, surely?"

Crowley leaned forward, a smirk crossing his face. "What did you do to Halt?"

The jarl shook his head, his grin broadening. "Not for me," he replied cheerfully. "Every time, it's just as fresh as the first."

"I'm so glad that Skandians have such a lively sense of humor," the Ranger said, scowling. "Like yours is any better," Gilan quipped. It didn't serve his ill temper any better to see that several of the other Skandians were grinning as well. In truth, he was a comical figure. He had forsaken his Ranger's cloak and garb and was dressed in Skandian clothing—

It was a long while before the laughter had died down. They could all imagine what the small Ranger had looked like without any further description. Halt scowled at them, but the look had little effect.

"Oh, go on," Crowley gasped. "I want to have the mental image!"

sheepskin vest, a short fur cloak and woolen breeches, wound around with leather bindings from the knees down. At least they should have been wound from the knees down. In fact, since Halt was considerably smaller in stature than any of the adult Skandians, the leggings were bound from his thighs down, the breeches sagged alarmingly at the crutch and the sheepskin vest hung loosely on him, seemingly with room for another person of his own size inside.

Halt forced his hand away from his knife as Crowley burst into laughter once more. The rest of the exchanged glances, each of them straining not to laugh.

"It's your own fault," Erak replied. "For deciding to try to disguise yourself as one of us."

"What else was I supposed to do?" Halt shot. Erak grinned.

"I'm sure we could have found a barrel or something for you to hide in." He laughed at the sour expression.

"I told you," Halt muttered. "The Temujai got a good look at me when they were chasing us near the border—and even without that, they have no reason to love anyone dressed as a Ranger."

Crowley put a hand over his heart in a dramatic gesture, though the grin on his face ruined it. "Not love a Ranger? I'm insulted!"

Duncan eyed him and Halt balefully. "Sometimes I wonder," he said.

"So I've heard," Erak said, still grinning. He bent to the sighting ring before him, checked the position of the floating lodestone and adjusted the sight ring to conform with it. Then he read off the bearing to the next headland.

"A little east to east of south," he said to himself, then, raising his voice, he called to his men: "Look alive now! Sand Creek Bay lies beyond that next headland!"

"And the fun soon begins," Erak said eagerly, looking like a child with a new toy. Halt's scowl only deepened.

There was an expectant shuffle on the decks of the wolfship as the Skandians made sure their weapons were close to hand—although not obviously so. At a nod from Erak, the masthead lookout relayed the message to the other two wolfships sailing in close company with them. Very obviously making an effort not to grin, the wolfship skipper nudged Halt in the ribs with a not too gentle elbow.