20

Edvin handed the book to Ulf. It could have been Wulf, but they had long given up on trying to make a distinction between the two twins.

THE PINE HAD FALLEN SEVERAL YEARS BACK, FINALLY DEFEATED by the weight of snow in its branches, the insidious rot at the heart of its massive trunk and one too many seasons of gale force winter winds. Even in death, however, its neighbors had tried to support it, keeping it from the ignominy of the ground, holding it in the grip of their tangled branches so that it lay at an angle of thirty degrees to the horizontal, seemingly supported between heaven and earth by its closely packed fellows.

"How does that even apply to the story?" Halt asked, an eyebrow arched. Will and Gilan grinned at each other.

Halt leaned now on the rough bark that still coated the dead trunk and peered down into the valley below, where the Temujai column moved slowly past.

"Oh, back to scouting," Will remarked.

"They're taking their time," Erak said, beside him. The Ranger turned to look at him, one eyebrow raised quizzically. The two former apprentices snickered.

"They're in no hurry," he replied. "It's going to take them some time to get their wagons and supply train through the passes. Their horses don't like confined spaces. They're used to the open plains of the steppes."

"That's true," Will mused. Tug rarely enjoyed enclosed spaces, preferring the open air.

The cavalry army continued its slow advance. There seemed little order to their march, Halt thought, frowning. Horace shook his head. There were no outriders, no patrols screening the flanks of the mob of men, horses and wagons as they made their way toward Hallasholm, ninety kilometers to the north.

Halt, Erak and a small party of Skandians had come southeast, moving over the mountains along steep, narrow paths where the Temujai cavalry found it more difficult to move, to scout the invaders' progress. Now, as Halt watched them, a thought struck him.

"Oh no." Gilan shook his head. "What did you do, Halt?"

The grizzled Ranger gave him a pained look. "Why is it that you always think I did something crazy?"

Gilan raised both eyebrows. "I wonder why," he said, his voice dripping sarcasm. Halt scowled at him.

"Mind you, we could make sure they move a little slower," he said softly. Erak shrugged impatiently at the idea. Halt raised his eyes to heaven.

"Why bother?" he asked bluntly. "The sooner we come to grips with them, the sooner we settle this."

"And the sooner we would have all died," Halt pointed out. Erak sighed.

"The longer they take, the more time we have to prepare," Halt told him. "Besides, it bothers me to see them just ambling along, taking no precautions, riding in no order. It's too damned arrogant." Will raised an eyebrow.

"I thought you said they were smart?" the Skandian queried, and it was Halt's turn to shrug.

"There's a difference between smart and common sense," Crowley pointed out. Halt raised an eyebrow.

"And how would you know that, since you have neither?" The Ranger smirked, and Crowley pouted.

"Maybe it's because they expect you to simply come at them head-on when they finally reach Hallasholm," he suggested.

The Skandian war leader considered the thought, looking a little offended by it.
"Don't they give us any credit for strategy?"

The Araluens exchanged a glance. Erak looked ahead, trying to keep what remained of his dignity.