29

"I'll read next," Rodney offered as they sat down. The book was passed to him and he began reading, his deep voice echoing around the room.

EVERYONE SAW SLAGOR'S GUILTY START OF SURPRISE WHEN Halt mentioned the name of the island. Everyone smirked in satisfaction. Slagor recovered quickly, but the moment had been there and it had been witnessed. "Good," Gilan said.

"I'm not here to answer to you, Ranger!" he blustered angrily. "You have no authority in this council!"

Crowley shook his head. "He's not putting up a very good front, is he?"

Erak stepped forward, rocking on his heels, his face only centimeters from Slagor's. "But I have," he told the other man. "And I'd like to hear your answer."

"That's one of the few times I'd say, Thank God for Erak," Halt said. The Oberjarl raised an eyebrow.

"What's this about, Erak?" Ragnak interrupted before Slagor could reply. Erak kept his gaze fixed on Slagor.

"Two of Slagor's ships are currently at Fallkork Island," he replied. "In another day, he plans to rendezvous with them and sail down the coast to Sand Creek Bay."

"He could have at least made it difficult," Gilan remarked. Duncan glanced over at the Ranger, but held his tongue.

Erak saw the color draining from Slagor's face as he realized that his plans had been discovered. He continued inexorably, his voice rising in volume as Slagor attempted to speak, drowning the other man out. "There, he plans to embark one hundred and fifty Temujai warriors and land them behind our lines to attack us from the rear."

Hal shook his head. Beside him, Stig whispered, "I don't think I've heard of many Skandians doing this; even with how bad Slagor seemed."

The room erupted as people began to shout all at once. In vain, Slagor spat abuse at Erak and protested his innocence. His followers in the hall, and there were more than a few, roared their protests, while those who favored Erak roared back, calling for Slagor's head. Halt shook his head, muttering, "Typical Skandians" under his breath. The bedlam continued for a full minute until Ragnak rose from his seat.

"Silence!" he bellowed.

In the ensuing quiet, you could almost hear a pin drop.

"How do you know this?" the Oberjarl asked. He disliked Slagor. Many of
the Skandians did. But the concept of such treachery was so absolutely abhorrent to the simple Skandian code of conduct that Ragnak found it impossible to believe it of anyone, even Slagor.

Erak snorted. "Believe me, it was very likely. I had no trouble believing it."

"His plans were overheard, Ragnak," Erak told him.

Instantly Slagor was screaming his innocence. "This is lies! It's a pack of filthy lies! Who heard me? Who claims I'm a traitor? Let them face me now!"

"I don't think shouting is going to help," Arald said mildly.

"As a matter of fact, Ragnak," said Halt, raising his voice so that he was heard clearly in every corner of the room, "the informant is here with us."

That piece of news stilled Slagor's protests immediately. Ragnak eyed the Ranger with distaste. Since he had arrived in Hallasholm, the comfortable, established order of things had been continually disturbed.

Crowley grinned. "That's Halt for you. He always messes with order." Halt glared at him, and everyone laughed.

"Then let's hear from him," the Oberjarl said.