38

"Have fun with this." Will handed the book to his girlfriend, wishing the book was already over.

HORACE SENSED THE PRESENCE OF SOMEONE DIRECTLY BEHIND him and pivoted rapidly, his sword swinging back, ready to cut side-handed. Seeing the slightly built form of his friend there, grimly engaging a Temujai swordsman with his two knives, he widened his stroke and laid open the Tem'uj's forehead with the point of his sword. The trooper staggered away, hands to his face, sinking to his knees.

"Thanks for trying to cut me in half," Will said with mock cheerfulness. "I've always wanted that to happen to me." Horace rolled his eyes.

"What do you think you're up to?" Horace yelled, in between parrying another attack from the front.

"What did you think I was doing? Dancing around in a circle?"

Horace grinned. "Fluttering like a butterfly, more like."

"I'm watching your back," Will told him, as he blocked a thrust from another Tem'uj trying to take Horace from the rear.

"Well, next time let me know," Horace said, grunting as he side-stepped a lance and hammered the hilt of his sword into its surprised owner's skull. "I nearly cut you in half just then!"

"I hadn't noticed," Will said dryly.

"There won't be a next time," Will replied. "I'm not enjoying myself here."

"None of us were," Horace countered.

Horace flicked a rapid glance over his shoulder. Will was using the Ranger's double-knife defense to parry and block the Tem'uj's saber. But it wasn't a form of fighting he was particularly skilled in. Besides, it had been over a year since he and Horace had practiced the moves in the hills of Celtica. Halt cleared his throat, and both Will and Horace flushed. The Temujai swordsman was having the better of the exchange and in that quick glance, Horace had seen blood seeping through the left arm of Will's shirt.

"I didn't even notice," Will said. He grimaced. "I definitely felt it afterwards."

"When I tell you, drop to your knees," Horace said.

"Fine," Will replied grimly. "I may even do it before you give the word." Alyss shot him a worried glance, and Will smiled reassuringly. In spite of himself, Horace grinned. Then, as he drove two attackers back, he called over his shoulder: "Now!"

He sensed that Will had dropped to the ground and, flicking the sword into
a reversed grip, he thrust backward and heard a startled cry.

Halt raised an eyebrow. "And I hope that wasn't Will?"

"You all right?" he called, reversing the sword again and deflecting that persistent lance once more. For a moment, there was no answer, and he felt a sudden jolt of fear that he had just stabbed his friend. Everyone raised an eyebrow. Then Will answered him.

"Very impressive. Where did you learn that?"

"Made it up just now," Horace said, then grunted in satisfaction as the lancer stepped a little too close and took the point of his sword in the shoulder. As the man sank to the ground, Horace withdrew the sword, flicking it into a whirling overhand cut at another Tem'uj. The cavalryman's thick felt helmet saved his life as the sword crashed down on it. But there was still enough force in the blow to knock him to his knees, concussed and cross- eyed.