In-Between Scenes

-Can anyone give me some writing motivation?-

"Who was that, Smallville." Before Clark could even get words out, she cut him off. "Your mother, correct? I heard you call her 'ma'."

"Yeah, she's just calling from home because..." shit! What does he even say? "-eh, family stuff. Nothing interesting, I promise."

Wrong thing to say, you could practically hear the Ding as Lois' reporter insticts snapped on.

"Well from what I heard, someone named Conner is giving you trouble."

"How long were you listening?"

"I'm pretty sure half the office perked up when you said 'CADMUS, wanted him to kill me'." Lois replied. "But I heard everything after 'Superboy'."

Clark didn't know where that was in the conversation. "I mean it's a family thing. Inside joke. We've had the superboy thing since before Superman." He lied, throwing everything at the wall and praying something stuck. 

"Must be a Kansas thing. So who's Conner? Why does he hate you? Why was your mother so angry?" Lois almost reached for her notepad to start annotating. "What's CADMUS?"

"Since when did you get so interested in my personal life?"

"Since Perry wanted me to write about SHEIN Fashion." She replied.

"Well I have a young Cousin, early twenties, she might know something about SHEIN." Clark tried to go back to his lunch. Lois wasn't letting that happen, though.

"Hell no, this is undoubtedly the first time I've seen anything controversial in Clark Kent's personal life. This is making history! What's CADMUS?"

Clark had to think fast, he didn't want her googling it. "Some event from back in the day, at the farm."

"An event wants someone to try and kill you?"

"Well it sounds weird when you say that!" He defended.

"So who's Conner."

"A... relative," Clark staid quickly. "staying with my mom." 

"Cool." She seemed bored with the domestic stuff. She was definitely stalling on SHEIN. "Why does he want you dead?"

"Long story."

She checked the time. "It's only just past twelve."

"It's a lot of boring family drama."

"And YOU'RE involved?" She nose-exhaled sarcastically. Not enough to be a cynical snort, but much further then an interested sigh. "I don't care how boring it is, Clark-Kansas-hick-Kent is involved in something controversial." She clicked her pen lazily, eyeing his lunch.

"You'll turn anything into a story."

"I like to think that I just see stories where you don't." 

They sat in relative silence for about a minute. 

"So are you going to take my donut or are you waiting for permission?" Clark asked.

"Mm, I was waiting for acknowledgement." She took the treat. She deserved it more anyways. She carried their assignment last week. "So, How do you know this Conner?"

Clark should have known better than to expect her to forget. Once Lois locked onto a story, there was no stopping her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conner clutched the phone to his ear. Dick thought it might help him.

"Superboy?"

"yeah. are you at the mountain?"

"We're just leaving."

The kryptonian swallowed, the noise from the  telephone rattling in his ears. "Can you bring Wolf back?"

There was a pause. "Conner, I'm not sure-"

"Please?" He held the phone ack a little. Please was a word he was working on using more, at Black Canary's request. 

Kaldur paused. "Would Wolf help you?"

"Yes." 

The team leader sighed, barely audible, on the other side. "We'll Bring Wolf back if you take care of him?" Between Brining Wolf there, Bringing Sphere there, and bringing Black Canary there, Wolf would be the easiest.

"Yes."

"We'll bring Wolf back."