Good Boy

-I good little ending, though I may do an epilogue if enough people want-

Martha sat on the sofa, pulling her grandson down infront of her. The child looked away shamefully, continuing to push the plate forwards into her. 

"Baby," She muttered, dabbing under her eye. "Where did you go? You scared us!"

Wriggling under her stare, he let out a tiny grumble. "Take." He put the plate on her lap, drawing his hands back sharply. "Take it."

"For me? Sweetheart, I didn't need a new one..."

"It looks like yours."

Martha looked over the plate; it was chipped and didn't really look like her set, only vaguely tied to it by some blue in the embellishments.

"Oh Baby, bless you... You didn't have to replace it." She set the plate aside, trying to cup the buy's face but he pulled away. "I'm sorry I raised my voice. We can make  do with one less plate."

Her grandson stole a glance at her and looked down again, anticipating some sort of trick or scolding. "You're not mad?"

"Of course not."

"You were."

"I am allowed to forgive you."

Conner's breathing picked up a little. "Really?"

"Of course I do. A broken plate isn't worth going missing for."

The child looked as though she'd just told him Smallville had tarmacked roads. "What?"

"Aren't I allowed to value my grandson over a plate?" 

He didn't respond to that, squirming uncomfortably. "What about Superman?"

"What about Superman?"

"I'm not being like him."

"Good for you." She leaned forwards, planting a kiss on his cheek. "I wouldn't want you to be like Superman."

"Why?"

"That's a big question." She sighed, tugging Conner's shoulder to coerce him up onto the sofa with her. "I guess you could think about it as me liking you more as yourself."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Guys, Wolf's got a scent ...I think." Wally reported, racing after the beast on the prairie.

"Sure he's not just chasing cattle again?" Artemis asked.

"No... I think he's good." He said, keeping pace with the Dog. "You got Supey's scent, Boy?" He vaulted over a fence to keep up. Wolf could leap like a horse, and he briefly considered that they should try riding the dog like a horse, only to run into a fence. Wind knocked out of him, the redhead clambered over the fence and took off again. "Everyone got my location?"

"Yeah, we're on the trail." Dick said. "You got him M'gann?"

"I think I can feel him." She said into the comm, before yelling down at the speedster. "Wally! Hi!"

"Hi!" He slid under a broken fence board. Chasing Wolf into a thick field of corn. He covered his face against the sharp leaves.

"Wait, Wally!"  The martian called.

Wally shot out of the field after Wolf and stopped, letting out a sigh. "I think you got your sniffer turned around there, bud."

"He's probably hungry." M'gann said sinking to the grass next to him, a little embarrassed. "Table scraps really aren't enough for him... I'll get some treats and we can keep going."

"Get me some snacks too?" Wally panted. Watching her follow him to the farm house's door.

"Mm." They went to open the door, freezing. "Wait, I feel him..."

"It's probably nothing."

"No, Wally, here!" 

He slunk after her, leaning against the window at her side. They stared for a second, taking in the sight.

"I-- Uh, I guess I owe you an apology, Wolfie."

"Good Dog." M'gann flapped his ear affectionately. "You deserve a biscuit."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clark returned to see the kids huddled around outside the house. Apparently no one told him what was going on.

"What are you doing back?" He asked, landing nearby. The kids glanced over their shoulders and ignored him. "Did something happen?"

"Shh." Kaldur said. a lot of nerve from the usually shy boy. "Don't disturb them."

Clark stopped, hovering over the kids, who was sitting under the window with their Wolf sprawled out across them. Looking up through the window, he was met with the sight of his mother, sitting back on the sofa, resting Superboy's head on her lap.

She looked up, nodded at her son in acknowledgement, and continued petting the boy's hair.