4. Sidestep

Something was definitely wrong. It was apparent that Sherlock has been avoiding him for 2 days, 18 hours, 47 minutes, and 53 seconds. No, he wasn't obsessed. He's really not— that was what he thought.

He was just worried. What happened to Sherlock? The normal him would not last an hour or two without clinging into him. He was always by William's side, no one—not even the sight of Louis holding a knife— could make Sherlock detach from him. Well, it's not as if Louis would actually stab Sherlock in front of him. And if he would, there's Moran who would stop him from doing so.

Basically, Sherlock being distant from him inarguably meant that something was wrong.

Him keeping distance from William made him think of various scenarios. He was being paranoid. Did I do something wrong to make him act like that? Did he have enough of me? Am I not worthy of his attention and affection anymore? A lot of thoughts had bombarded William's mind, a lot of unwanted thoughts.

"Brother," Louis suddenly spoke, "Is something bothering you?" William looked at him, confused. "Why?"

"You've been tapping your fingers on the table agitatedly." William halted from what he was unconsciously doing. "Oh."

William didn't choose to answer, instead, he just sighed heavily. Louis stared at him. William had always been a composed man. He never acted this way before. He was so good at hiding his feelings and keeping it cool. Sherlock, you asshole. Just what did you feed to my brother for him to be like this?

William sighed again. He stood up and bid his farewell to Louis, saying he'd be taking a walk outside. He needed to unwind. He didn't like the scenarios his mind came up with.

He felt a slight pang of pain in his chest. So he forgot, huh?

"A beauty like you shouldn't walk alone outside at night," a familiar voice spoke.

William stiffened. That familiar scent, presence, and voice— he missed that.

He cocked his head and crossed his arms before responding, "I'm a man."

The man grinned, his hands on his back, "You are my man."

He offered William a bouquet of red roses, "You thought I forgot? Happy birthday, Liam."

William's eyes were shimmering. He looked away, "Why did you avoid me for almost 3 days? I thought—"

He was cut when Sherlock hugged him tight, "God, I missed you."

With that, William bursted into tears.

He couldn't picture his life without Sherlock.

Sherlock explained to him why he avoided him. He said it was actually Louis' idea (which he really couldn't believe-- Louis and Sherlock teaming up?), saying that it would be cute to know William's reaction if he suddenly avoided him and showed up after 3 days, exactly on his birthday. Of course, Sherlock got baited (Louis' true intention was to get rid of Sherlock just for 3 days, also, for him to be the first one to greet his brother on his day). Sherlock wanted to see how William would react. He wanted to know if William fears to lose him, too.