11 - An Old New Friend

Miles' POV:
"Ganke, don't tell me to stop worrying." I snapped, pacing up and down in our dorm, clutching my hair. This was bad. This was very, very bad.

"Dude, chill, just go get her." Ganke nonchalantly drawled, spinning around in his chair. I immediately stopped and glared at him,

"Okay Ganke. So when I go retrieve her from the unidentified villain at the place i don't know she doesn't question at all why she was targeted specifically, and i can get away with the whole saving the world thing again without her saying anything at all! Not to mention i have no idea where she is! Great plan!"

"Don't say it like that, Miles, you make it sound dumb."
"My friend, that's because it is dumb."

Taking a deep breath and collapsing on Ganke's bed, I said, in a quieter voice,
"...What if she's already dead?"

"She won't be, Miles. Trust me." Ganke put a hand on my shoulder, "Now think. The message said go to where you ended their dad's dreams. Anyone you've beaten that wasn't brain dead enough to mention family?"

I racked my brain, trying to recall all of my fights.
"Not really," I mumbled, "Recently it's just been a lot of cronies being sent to occupy-"
My next words died in my mouth as realisation crashed into me like a tidal wave.
"...of course. It was a distraction! How could i be so dumb?!" I shot up in the bed, hitting my head against the frame above. However, it barely affected me as i stood up again.

"Okay, okay, so the villain's probably the same person that sent those guys," Ganke thought out loud as i pressed two fingers two my temples. "Think, Miles, right back to the beginning. Was anyone a father?"
The cogs turned in my brain as I flicked through memories like pages in a photo book. Since the beginning i had fought a lot of people, but once i got to the end, i knew. I knew.

"Kingpin."