» one

chapter one:
'this is the worst surprise birthday party ever'

a soft voice sang throughout the quiet room, interrupting the dark haired girls' dreams

a soft voice sang throughout the quiet room, interrupting the dark haired girls' dreams. she hummed, her eyes still closed, but let the other person in the room know that she was awake now.

"get up Kiyo!" the voice spoke again, but in a more stern tone. Kiyo lazily opened her eyes to see her mother standing beside her bed with her arms crossed. upon seeing that her daughter was now fully awake, Nagi smiled brightly and held up a box with a red ribbon tied around it, "happy birthday my darling!"

"too early" Kiyo mumbled, turning the other way to face her closed window and closing her eyes once again.

the mother pursed her lips but didn't say a word. well, she said something in her head.

hmm, guess these brand new limited edition headphones will be mine now...

Kiyo's eyes widened and she immediately sat up to face her mother and opened the box. her eyes sparkled at the sight of the shiny silver headphones.

"thank you mom!" Kiyo smiled and hugged her mother. the headphones she currently had were on the verge of breaking and didn't drown out the sound of others too well, so she was happy to have new ones.

Nagi smiled at her daughters joy, "now these are sound proof, so don't wear them too much during class! go ahead and get dressed, breakfast is all ready"

her mother then exited her room, leaving Kiyo to put on her school uniform and get ready. even though it was summer, she still had supplementary classes she and others had to take. she hummed the tune to one of the songs that she had on repeat in her head, 'sofia' by clairo. the tempo for the song was relaxing, not to mention the lyrics were hella catchy.

for as long as she could remember, Kiyo's parents had wanted her to go to UA High School. her father Botan graduated from there in the hero course. but after he got severely injured when on patrol one day and had to retire, she didn't have the desire to become a hero anymore. her father got hurt because he was a hero, and now his life wasn't the same anymore. she wanted her family to live simply, and being a hero meant that danger could come at any moment.

growing up her father was the only hero she really admired. but after they got the news from the doctors saying that his eyesight would be gone forever, she didn't understand why being a hero was so fun. risking your life to get money from beating up bad guys sounded like a dumb decision. and with her quirk, she wasn't hero material at all. why would she waste her time training to just end up living a normal life?

on her fathers side, their family has a history of having mental power quirks. each one is different, but are all similar in different ways. Kiyo's quirk is on the more complex side though. her quirk is Elemental Manipulation and Telepathy, or EMT for short. using both telekinetic and telepathic techniques, she can manipulate the components of any object to her will as well as manipulate the four elements water, earth, fire and air.