f o u r t e e n

The brunette was bombarded with questions the moment she returned the keys to SweetPea. As she stepped into the rustic trailer, it's cream paint job peeling. She was forced to take a moment to gather herself - both Fangs and SweetPea speaking over one another. Toni held up her hands in defense, waiting for them to notice the signal to shut the hell up.

"One at a time, I'm not a mind reader!" Toni called out over their gruff voices, thankfully getting through to them. "You're acting as though I died."

"We thought those assholes, the ghoulies came after you again." Fangs sighed, annoyance laced beneath his words.

"You can't just disappear like that, Toni." SweetPea snarled in anger, it was clear to her that he hadn't slept. His eyes glazed with a panic she'd only seen a handful of times.

Toni discarded her jacket, tossing it onto the couch as she sat before them. A feeling of guilt hitting her as she realised she'd scared the life out of them - the last time she said she'd be back and didn't show, she was off her nut in a gutter.

"I'm sorry, I meant to call, I just..." Toni confessed, quickly realising she'd been too caught up in Cheryl to remember to contact them. "Cheryl was at Pop's she was drunk...I couldn't just leave her there, anything could've happened..."

Fangs expression fell sympathetic, resting his head in his hands. Finally allowing himself to catch a breath and relax. He pulled himself to his feet, letting out a final exhale before coming over to Toni. His arms wrapping around her, giving her a comforting squeeze, thankful she was okay.

"Now that I know you're fine, I need to let Kevin know. He's been ready to put out a missing person report for the past two hours." Fangs cracked a smile, his hand running over Toni's loose waves before placing a friendly kiss on her forehead. "I expect to meet this woman of yours soon."

The brunette felt her cheeks light on fire at his words, scrambling to correct him but he was already gone. "She's not my—"

"He's messing with you." SweetPea interjected coldly, unlike Fangs he didn't appear to forgive her so easily. Toni rubbed the nape of her neck.

"If you're worried about your bike, it's in perfect shape." She started, watching as the ruffled haired boy turned away from her. Toni shuffled awkwardly, not used to the eerie silence between them. "Listen Sweets, I really didn't intend to frighten you g—"

"Do you remember the time I found you bleeding out?" The boy almost spat, his words feeling like a knife to her heart. Subconsciously reaching to trace the scar just below her ribs. "Or foaming from the mouth? Drenched in sweat or shaking profusely from withdrawal?"

"SweetPea..." Toni tried to speak, taking a step towards her friend.

"You might not remember that one time we were almost too late. Fangs had found you choking on your own puke." SweetPea had turned now, towering over her with a pain behind his eyes. "He didn't sleep for weeks, he didn't leave your side even if it meant he slept on the floor beside you."

The brunette's head bowed as shame clung to her, all of those memories were still a haze in her mind. Their hospital bills were still through the roof because of all of the times she'd needed medical attention.

"You promised us you'd never disappear like that again, we know you still have a debt with the ghoulies." The older boy kept his eyes focused on the girl before him, ignoring the way she begged him with her eyes to leave it be. "They're impatient assholes, something you learned the hard way."

"I know, I was there, SweetPea. Whether I was functioning through it or not, I have the scars. I know what happened." Toni finally argued back, tears brimming at the edge of her eyes. "I'm paying them back, where do you think a quarter of my money went? I give them what I can, whenever I can."