n i n e t e e n

To watch her professor in her own world felt like a gift. The way she concentrated so strongly on what the apartment was in need of, constantly glancing over her shoulder to ask Toni a random question or two. It didn't feel like an outing with her college professor, despite the fact that in over two weeks they'll be back facing one another across several desks once more.  Any moment they shared within that time frame was to remain between them. Toni watched as the redhead tossed a second packet of clotted cream fudge into the cart, an eyebrow raising as the woman didn't think twice.

"I've never met anyone who actually enjoys that shit."

A glare was shot Toni's way, Cheryl quickly biting back, "It's the only thing that brings me joy in my life, don't judge."

"The only thing? Should I be offended?" Toni teased almost flirtatiously, a twinge of a smirk on the corner of her lips. It was hard to miss the hint of colour that lit up Cheryl's cheeks. But it was quickly accompanied by a simple eye roll.

"You'll be offended when we leave here empty handed, hurry up and throw some food in." Cheryl grunted as she urged the shopping cart down the aisle, her attention flickering back to her mission. Toni trailing a few steps behind, her brown eyes lingering on the freshly made fudge brownies that lay behind the glass of the bakery. "You look like you're about to start drooling, stop hesitating and put them in the cart, weirdo."

Toni eventually gave up resisting the temptation of the chocolate smothered treats. The low growl vibrating through her stomach telling her they wouldn't go to waste. With a smile, she'd politely asked the woman before the counter for two, one for her and one for Cheryl. Her professor had already made her way towards the end of the aisle, swiping all sorts into the cart. Something told Toni that half of that was more for the pink haired girl than herself.

"So your brother, what is he like?" The brunette asked, filling the silence as the two walked alongside one another, Toni partially out of breath attempting to keep pace with her professor.

Cheryl smiled, an almost nostalgic expression dancing along her face. "He's almost like my guardian angel, you'd never hear a bad word about me fall from his lips. Something the rest of my family would never be able to relate to."

"Sounds like my kind of guy."

Cheryl scoffed, shooting her student a look, "Here I was thinking you were a full blown lesbian, scissor and all."

At the remark the caramel skinned girl burst out in a joyous laugh, enjoying the light banter between the pair. The sudden sound turned a few heads, something that occurred often anytime Cheryl went anywhere.

"You're funny," Toni shook her head with a grin, "You know what I mean - he sounds like a nice guy, are the kids his?"

The photograph flowed into her mind, the image of the taller man and two identical twins before them both told her the resemblance between them were uncanny.

"Juniper and Dagwood, they're my niece and nephew." Cheryl spoke with such fondness, a warm glow behind her chestnut eyes, "They lost their mom when they were born, I don't think Jason could've managed without them. I couldn't bear leaving his side for the first few months."

"I can't imagine losing someone like that, to go through the whole nine months, just to lose the one you took that journey with," A heavy feeling began to tighten in the atmosphere, the talk of death feeling like darkness was looming over them. "I'm really sorry, I have no doubt those children have been brought up exactly how their mother would have wanted."

"Jason's incredible with them, he's a natural father, I only wish he'd find someone for himself - it's been ten years and he's had no interest in another woman."