f o u r

"Oh, come on. I can't go to the party alone."

It was the third time Sweet Pea had brought up the topic within an hour. In a usual case, the tousled haired boy would've asked Fangs, his roommate. But for once in his typically boring life, the boy had a date, one that he had no intention of cancelling just to earn a little cash. So that left Toni.

The last party Toni had attended had been a party at Donna's - one that she was no doubt coerced into having. Donna wasn't exactly a 'party girl' nor was she one to drink vigorously, but Toni knew she was susceptible to peer pressure. As most rich girls were.

"You know I don't flock with that scene anymore," Toni argued, falling back into the wrong crowd wouldn't fit into her life right now. "Are you sure Fangs can't join you? He's been out with like, a million guys before, how come this ones different?"

Sweet Pea gave her a knowing look, before his usual drawn expression morphed into a grin.

"He's happier than I've seen him in years," The happiness that radiated from the boy brought a smile to Toni's face. "You should be glad you haven't had to watch him change suits for the fiftieth time. For a guy with limited cash, he's got more suits than a rich man."

"Well, I'm sad to have missed it. I'd love to have teased him." The brunette chuckled in amusement, Fangs had made note to never ask Toni's advice on a date. It usually involved the two bickering over an outfit Toni thought was ridiculous.

"Hm. I'm sure he'd have loved that, the comment that his hair is too high, was truly missed." Sweet Pea retorted with a smirk, missing the pair's banter.

He looked forward to winter nights when Toni would stay in the trailer with them, the late night talks, binge eating and not having a care in the world how loud their music was. That was one good thing about having no neighbours. Sweet Pea had tried his best to be the perfect friend, he'd offered to buy a trailer for Toni on more than one occasion.

It was no secret to the two men that she was staying in an abandoned factory. But Toni being the stubborn woman she was, refused any help the two threw her way. Sweet Pea pushed aside his glass of golden ale, leaning forward to rest his elbows on the edge of the table. The action making sure Toni's attention remained set on him.

"Come on, we can split the profits. That's a fair deal, you know how much we make at these things."

Toni's mind wandered to the dust that was collecting in the wallet that was never full. In the past two weeks, her money had come close to nothing and if it weren't for the dollar store down the street, she was sure she'd pass out from lack of nutrition. She found herself in a situation where she had no choice but to say yes.

"Fine. But there's no way I'm hauling you out there if you're too drunk to string a sentence." Toni huffed, glancing up at her best friend as she snatched up an onion ring from his plate.

They both knew her words were a lie, they looked after one another, no matter the state they were in. It was sort of an unspoken rule. Sweet Pea tried to hide the victorious grin that worked its way along his face.

"Great. I'll pick you up at eleven - Fangs is cool with you selling his half, seem as he won't be there to do it himself."

The pink haired girl nodded along, already knowing the deal with these things. Keep your head down, hands stuffed in your pockets at all times and if they tried to lower the amount, move onto someone else. And if police show up, run as though your life depended on it.

Part of Toni hoped Sweet Pea would let her snag whatever remained at the end of the night, but if tonight was a success, she knew nothing would be left over. By the time she'd finished the rest of the onion rings - wiping the grease from her fingers with a napkin - Sweet Pea had risen from his seat.