Family Ties

Adelina's POV

Elena opened her eyes, suddenly alarmed. She had heard a strange noise downstairs. She sat up gasping and strained her ears to hear silence. She quickly threw off her sheets and went out into the hallway.

"Hello?" She called out to be greeted with silence. She went to the edge of the stairwell and looked down and strained her eyes trying to see if there was someone in the darkness. Then she saw a silhouette of a person zoom by. "Jeremy?" She called. When she got no response, she cautiously made her way down the stairs and started to walk towards the kitchen.

"Hello?" She called out once more when in the kitchen. She tried to flick the lights on but they didn't work. Suddenly, she heard the TV from the living room.

"This is Logan Fell coming to you live from the streets of Mystic Falls with breaking news of another deadly animal attack. The wild animal terrorizing the citizens of Mystic Falls has claimed another victim. Local high school student, Elena Gilbert." Elena stared at the TV with furrowed brows as she breathed heavily.

"You know what's coming next." Damon said from behind her. She flipped around to see Damon standing there. She ran to the front door and yelped when she flung it open to be greeted by Damon standing there. She slammed it and turned around to see him now behind her. She held her hands to her head as she panted. Suddenly, she moved the hair from her face to see Damon had disappeared. She released her head and walked forward a bit. Then she felt his vampire teeth sink into her flesh as she screamed in pain.

I woke up in a gasp as I felt Stefan sit up next to me. I had crashed in his room last night since I didn't feel like sleeping alone. But it seems he had had the same vivid dream as me. I sat up, sleepy, to see Damon sitting on a chair.

"Bad dream?" Damon asked as Stefan and I collected ourselves. Damon had gotten into our heads and inserted those dreams. Since Stefan drank animal blood he wasn't strong enough to keep out the dreams caused by other vampires, and since my vampire powers seem to always be on 50% instead of 100% vampires can get into my head easily. "Do you know how easy it was to get into your heads just now? You really need some human blood." He directed his last comment to Stefan. Both my brothers had known since about a decade after we turned that my vampire powers didn't work as well as they regularly should. Damon then continued speaking, "It might even the playing field. Football reference. Too soon?" He asked Stefan as I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. I sighed.

"Damon what are you-" Before I could finish Stefan vamp sped to his desk and threw a knife into Damon's chest. I gasped as Damon didn't even flinch and he looked down at the knife annoyed. He pulled the knife out and shrugged at Stefan.

"Alright I deserve that. But I just wanted to let you two know they caught the culprit. The animal responsible for killing Coach Tanner and all those people." I furrowed my brows. Damon had been the one who killed them all and if they had caught him he obviously wouldn't be here chatting with us.

"What are you talking about?" Stefan asked with furrowed brows.

"It was a mountain lion. Really big one." He expanded his arms to show he meant big. "It attacked a hunter this morning. It's all over the news. 'Deadly beast captured. All's well in Mystic Falls.' " He said as he pretended to print big letters in the air.

"Why would you cover your tracks?" I asked, still sitting on Stefan's bed. Damon walked over to the window before responding.

"I've decided to stay a while. And I'm just having way too much fun here with you two, and Elena." He said as he turned back around to try and get under Stefan's skin.