You're Undead to Me

Adelina's POV

I was watching Damon as he was in his cell. Then he suddenly started feeling around the ground.

"Where's my ring?" He asked weakly.

"You won't be needing it anymore." I responded. He groaned as he turned his head to look at me.

"How long have I been here?" He asked.

"Three days." I said.

"What are you doin'?" He exclaimed weakly, knowing he would soon desiccate.

"During the dark ages when a vampire's actions threatened to expose or bring harm upon the entire race, they would face judgment. They sought to reeducate them rather than to punish them." I informed him.

"You know what will happen if I don't...feed on blood." He said, trying to guilt trip me. I stood my guard.

"You'll grow weaker and weaker. And eventually you won't be able to move or speak. In a week your skin will desiccate, and you'll mummify. A living corpse, unable to hurt anyone. Ever." I responded.

"So what, you're just going to leave me in the basement, forever?" He asked unconvinced.

"We've injected you with enough vervain to keep you weak. Once your circulation stops, we'll move you to the family crypt, and then in 50 years, we can evaluate." I told him. Damon did a strained chuckle.

"I'm stronger than you think." He said as he decided to keep playing tough guy. Fine, two can play that game.

"You always have been. But you're not stronger than the vervain. And we both know it." I hesitated before speaking again. "I'm sorry. Didn't have to be this way." I said softly before walking away.

"He's awake. He's weak, but it's probably best to stay out of the basement. He's Damon, not sure how dangerous he still might be." I informed Zach as Stefan and I were about to leave for school.

"You two are going to school?" He asked.

"We came here to live a life. It's about time we got back to it. And Elena, if she's still speaking to me." Stefan replied.

"Why haven't you called her?" Zach questioned.

"What am I supposed to do, feed her another lie? I hate lying to her, Zach. I'm not good at it. She already thinks I'm hiding something." Stefan responded.

"What choice do you have? You came back here because you want to live as normal a life as you could. You knew this was going to be part of it." Zach countered. Stefan stayed silent, knowing Zach had a point, and then led the way out of the house. 

Elena's POV

"The football team and the band have committed. Well, not all the band. Just the ones who can pull off a bikini. I want in-your-face sexy. I mean, it's a fundraiser, for god sake." Bonnie and I overheard Caroline talking to some other girls. I scoffed.

"Unbelievable. It's like nothing happened." I exclaimed to Bonnie in disbelief.

"She's in denial." Bonnie said. We both turned to stare at Caroline.

"Hey." Bonnie and I turned to see Stefan behind me.

"Hey, uh, you know, I gotta go uh, be somewhere right now." Bonnie said before running off. Once she left, I focused my attention to Stefan.

"I'm so sorry I haven't called." He apologized. I sighed and I put on a fake smile.

"No worries. I'll live." I responded with a tone of bitterness.