Lost Girls

Adelina's POV

Mystic Falls, Virginia 1864

Stefan and I stood at the doorstep awaiting the arrival of our guest. She had lost her home and family to the fires in Atlanta so father had offered for her to stay here. Damon was off fighting in the war and since Stefan wasn't old enough to go fight, he was here with me and our arriving guest. Once her carriage arrived, the footman put a stool before the door and helped out who seemed to be the guests handmaiden. Then came out next was the woman herself. She was very beautiful and my second sense told me Stefan knew it as well. She had big brown doe eyes with her luscious brown hair piled into a bun. When her eyes landed on Stefan, a smile came to her face. Stefan and I walked up to her. Stefan bowed, as I curtsied.

"You must be Miss Pierce." Stefan asked politely.

"Please, call me Katherine." She said with a smile as she curtsied.

"What are you?" Elena repeated louder when Stefan and I didn't respond. My lips formed a tight line as the shock passed. I could feel Stefan accepting he no longer would be able to hide this from Elena.

"You know." Stefan stated grimly.

"No, I don't." She denied.

"Yes you do or you wouldn't be here." I said, equally as grim as Stefan. Elena didn't know the dangers of being associated with the Salvatore's. We were dysfunctional as hell.

"It's not possible. It can't be." Elena deflected stubbornly. Stefan started to walk closer to her and I slipped the stake out of his grip and placed it on the half wall. At least Damon would have another day to live...for now.

"Everything you know and every belief that you have is about to change. Are you ready for that?" Stefan asked her.

"What are you?" Elena repeated more harshly, ignoring Stefan's comment.

"We're vampires."

Elena went rigid and you could see the fear instantly gather within her.

Elena slowly started to back away. "I shouldn't have come."

"No. Please. Please." I begged, panicked that she was going to expose us. She jumped away from. Elena then pushed past Stefan and I trying to block her and ran to her car. I vamp sped in front of her door with Stefan.

She gasped. "How did you do that?"

"Please don't be afraid of us." I begged, ignoring her question.

"Let me go." She replied strongly.

Stefan blocked her. "No. Elena, there's things that you have to know and understand." Stefan jumbled out as she tried to squirm out of his grasp. She then succeeded and dove right past me into her car and sped away as Stefan and I watched hopeless. 

Elena's POV

I jumped out of my car and barged upstairs into my bathroom breathing heavily. This was not happening. No way in actual hell were vampires a real thing. But yet Stefan and Adelina hadn't denied it. I had expected, even hoped, that maybe they would just laugh in my face and tell me I was going crazy. But they hadn't.

Once I had calmed myself down a bit, I peeked into Jeremy's room to see him lying in bed with his headphones on. I quietly shut his door and went into mine.

I fell flat against the bed on my back as I shoved my shoes off. I then stood up, unable to stay still, and started to pace back and forth.

"Elena." I gasped as I flipped around to see Stefan standing there. I stumbled backwards to the door and tried to open it before it was slammed shut by a force behind me. I gasped as I felt him lean closer to me and hugged myself against the door whimpering.