Chapter 11

Why would Remi have a duffel bag?' Sera asked herself. 'She's not the type to go play sports, she hardly works out! So it can't be sports equipment. What else do people put in duffel bags? It can't be luggage of any sort, she would've told us if she was leaving anywhere. Besides, she was with John, and was heading back to his dorm room.' She conversed with herself, absorbed in her thoughts.

-"Seraphina? Seraphina? Seraphina?" A blue haired girl called out to her, startling her out of her pensiveness.

-"Hmm? Sorry, I've been zoning out a lot more recently. I think John's habit is rubbing off on me." She raised her eyebrow at the mention of John.

-"John again? Even though he's not a cripple, I still don't think he's doing much good to you hanging around you so often." She said.

-"I have a feeling you wouldn't say that in front of him, Elaine."

-"Most likely not. Who knows what he'll do?" She accused. Sera immediately went to defend him.

-"I think you've got it a little twisted," Sera said, as she pushed her up against the wall, freezing her, "seem familiar? John... is kind... and looks out for me and my wellbeing. He may have bad habits, he may not be the smartest, but he is worth more than you make him out to be. If you say that to him, he may not do anything. I... on the other hand, may not be so forgiving. Is. That. Under. Stood?"

-"Y-Yes, Seraphina." She says, trembling. When Sera unfreezes her, both relief and deja vu wash over her.

-"Good. I'll make something quick for dinner. I'll be watching a movie afterwards. If you want to watch it with me after your work, feel free." Sera explained, making it sound more like a command rather than a suggestion, if you could even consider it that.

-"Understood." Elaine answered, not wanting to aggravate her further.

-"Good."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-"Joker is a pretty lame vigilante name, John." Remi complained, crossing her arms.

-"Hey, you never said it had to be creative!" He countered, raising his hands up in innocence. "Besides, I don't have to choose a vigilante name, anyways! These names are really just for anonymous-ish communication. We could just assign each other colors. Pink and black."

-"But I want to gain recognition from EMBER! That's why I have a name! If my name was just pink, no one would care, and it's dumb! You need a name too!"

-"That reasoning makes no sense. Also, people would care, because they'll think, 'Who calls themself a color?'"John answered, making fun of her. The ridiculing only galvanized another response from the pinkette... sort of.

-"You're so— You— aaahh!" She screamed, exasperated. She pouted angrily, looking away from him. John just laughed.

-"So, is Joker good enough, at least for now?"

-"I guess..." she answered reluctantly.

-"Cool, now, onto the more pressing matter, who's our target for Branish?" John asked. The pinkette went silent, and her expression displayed disappointment, most likely for herself. He put his right hand on her shoulder. "Hey. We're gonna fix this, alright? As long as I'm breathing, I will help you help lower tiers defend themselves from tyrannical mid to high-tiers." He said, attempting to drive her out of the emotional ditch she was in. She smiled at him, back to her cheery self. 'If I didn't know any better, she's going through more roller coasters than I am.' He thought to himself.