Chapter 13

-"So they're not only getting stronger, but they're becoming more coordinated and informed about when and where you're going anywhere?" A blue haired girl asks, sitting on the couch.

-"Unfortunately." The pinkette answers.

-"But they don't usually do this, right? Aren't they usually surprised when you show up?"

-"They are. I don't know what was different this time... besides..."

-"John." They say simultaneously.

-"Was that the only difference today?" Elaine asks.

-"I think so? I mean, we were going back to the first city I went to with Blyke and Isen. Branish." She answers.

-"You said John was stuck under debris, but you also said the guy he knocked unconscious was able to escape. He was unconscious, meaning he must've been helped out by others, right?"

-"That's possible, but he might have just woken up by himself."

-"I've been thinking... if he woke up, then he would've wanted to... finish off John, right?" Elaine gets up off the couch, and starts to pace around the room.

-"I think so, John said he seemed pretty intent on killing him, even though his ability wouldn't have directly been able to. If he didn't tell me, though, I'm not sure if that was his intention."

-"Exactly, so that means he must've been helped by other people, because otherwise he would've tried to..."

-"He might have just wanted to get out of there."

-"I don't think that's likely. John is a god tier, if he had a chance to take out a god-tier level threat, I think he would've taken it."

-"Then why?"

-"I don't know. Something is off here." Elaine states. Remi scrunches her brows in thought.

-"I mean, John isn't well-known here, or a vigilante... at least here in Wellston. Elaine, can you do some research on EMBER and see if they've ever, you know, not killed a vigilante? And while you're at it, try to find anything on John? I'll try to get Isen's help, but there's no guarantee he will, since he was against the idea from the start."

-"I can try my best, I'm not nearly as good as Isen at prodding into someone's life. Additionally, aren't you worried about him thinking you're still being a vigilante?"

-"I think Seraphina will spill the beans anyway. I don't think there's a point to hiding it from them, and I'm sure Arlo is definitely already suspicious of me." Remi answers. Elaine remembers something.

-"Hey, what's up with you and Seraphina? You guys haven't been best friends, but you two are close. Why did you two seem so at odds with each other this evening?"Elaine asks. Remi answers, but Elaine joins her, having apparently figured it out.

-"John." They say, matching each other's words for the second time that night. Remi seemed embarassed, but seemed willing to answer any questions.

-"Do you... like John?" Elaine asks, trying not to put her too on the spot. Remi just looks up at her ceiling.

-"I don't know what it is..."

-"How do you feel about him?" Elaine asks further.

-"I'm not completely sure. Even though when I tried to help him and he slapped me, I could tell that wasn't really him. Even if I didn't know he was a cripple at the time, I knew he was different from everyone. His ideals were influenced by him acting like a cripple, but there has to be a reason why he acts like a cripple at school, and I want to know why."