Chapter 16

"I-It's Evie." she answers. Their magenta-haired savior racks her head in thought, trying to remember if they had met before.

"Nice to meet you two," she replies, "but you two don't need to be scared of me. I'm not going to hurt you." Her words definitely alleviate some stress, but years of habit die hard, and the two low-tiers keep their distance from her. Sera just sighs. "That's understandable... after all, it wasn't that long ago that I would have no problem beating just anyone who annoyed me... although, I usually just ignored everything around me. I digress." The two low tiers just keep staring at her, not knowing what to do, afraid to do anything.

"T-thank you a-again, Seraphina." Evie says, elbowing Roland.

"Thank you Seraphina." he says hastily. Sera nods, and looks up, putting her thumb and index finger on her chin, thinking.

"How come you two never fight back? She was just a mid-tier, and if you worked together, I'm sure you would've stood a chance." she asks, confused as to why they just submit to this abuse.

"Well," Evie begins, "I think I speak for all of us when I say that 'we don't really see the point'. Even if we did manage to stop one, then just more would come, and it would snowball to a point worse than what we started from."

"I disagree, I think if you all fought back, they wouldn't want to risk getting hurt just because you looked at them the wrong way." Sera explains. "That is, if you all would do that."

"Well, I guess that makes sense, but I don't think we could convince others to resist." Evie answers.

"Plus, we don't really even know how to fight!" Roland says, popping into the conversation. A metaphorical light bulb appears over Sera's head, as she remembers something, or rather, someone.

"I think I can get someone to help you guys with that. You guys know John?" she asks. The two recoil. 'Oh right, he challenged Blyke earlier, so that means they know he's no longer a--'

"John?!"

John enters the infirmary, since it was the end of the day, and spots the current Jack, grumbling to himself.

"How're the injuries?" he asks the boy, who turns to him rolling his eyes.

"Fine." he responds coldly. John puts his hands up.

"Guilty as charged. But hey, it could've been worse."

"How could it have been worse?! I'm basically just a Jack by title now!" he yells.

"To be fair... isn't that what you've always been? Cecile is stronger than you." John responds.

"Oh great, thanks for the consolation." he states sarcastically.

"Hey don't knock it," John replied, "being the Jack of Wellston is a feat on its own, even if you aren't there solely for power." Blyke didn't really care about losing his pride about being the Jack... well, he did, but what hurt more is how powerless he felt in comparison to John. What John said did remove some frustration, though.

"Whatever."

"Hey, could I ask you a question?" John asks. Blyke turns to him inquisitively.

"Uh, sure."

"Would you rather I challenge Remi alone or challenge Remi and Arlo at the same time?" Blyke thinks, weighing the options.

"With your power, I don't see a problem with challenging both of them at the same time." he replies.

"If you want, you can join them. I'm sure they'd appreciate the extra support." John taunts.

"Tch." Blyke voices. "I'd probably just be a hindrance."