3

You were very patient with me when you were teaching me how to code, I was a very bad coder when I first met you. But thanks to you I'm now able to code, without you I would haven't gotten out of my hell of a job.

I walk into the coffee shop to see Clay sitting at a table with some headphones plugged into his computer. I walk over to his table and set my computer next to his, he looks up from his screen and he smiled at me while taking out his earbuds.
"Hey, nice to see you again."
"Nice to see you too." I smile and boot up my computer.

He spent hours explaining how to code, even though I didn't understand any of it, he was patient. If I didn't understand the first time, he made sure to explain again until I understood. We usually ending our coding sessions after 2 or 3 hours, then meet again the next day and repeated this cycle.

"Wait what was that again?" I say confused.
"You need to add a semicolon after you type if." He says pointing at the screen. I type it in and it fixes the code.
"Oh, I think I understand now." He laughs and I look up at him. "What?"
"You're just so cute." My heart stops and I immediately look back at the screen.
"Do you think I can quit my job?" I say immediately changing the subject.
"Your job? The shitty one?"
"Yeah, I could work with you or you can help me find me a new job."
"Oh, sure. I can try to set up a job interview with the company I work for."
"Really?"
"Yes."
"That will actually be really nice, thank you Clay."
"Of course, anything for you." He smiles and pulls me into a side hug.

•••

It was the day of the job interview and I was incredibly scared that I would mess up the whole thing. I was sitting in the lobby and then I saw Clay walk out of a room. He mouths the words "You got this" to me and smiles, I give him a thumbs up in return and he disappears around the corner. I put my hand back into my lap and twiddled my thumbs around until,
"George?" I look up. The lady sees me and gives me a smile. "They're ready for your interview."
I stand up and follow her into a conference room, I see a man and woman sitting in some chairs with a notepad.
"So you must be George." The man says standing up and putting out his hand.
"I am, and you are?"
"I'm Bryan and this is Whitney." Whitney stands up and I shake her hand. I sit down and hand them my portfolio.  They open it up then start taking some notes.

For the most part, the interview went really well, they asked me many questions like "What's your greatest strength?" And "Why should we hire you?" I gave them answers and they always smiled after I answered. When I walked out of there I felt like I did really good, then an arm wraps around me.

"How did it go?" Clay asks all giddy.
"I think it went really well."
"I'm glad, I hope you're my new coworker soon." He says winking at me. I laugh and he does too.

---

"Did you get the job?" She asks.
"I did, Clay and I went out to celebrate and we had dinner."
"So it was a date?"
"I wouldn't call it a date, more of a celebration. Whatever it was, it made us closer." I smile to myself. "He always liked to celebrate and eat out whenever we could."
"That sounds nice."
"It was, I got to spend more time with him, and that's all that mattered to me." Then memories start rushing back to me.

I missed him.