Awake And Alive

"Trust me, you'll be fine." Bucciarati reassured me as he guided me inside the restaurant.

"Mr. Bucciarati." one of the waiters greeted him. He then looked at me, slightly surprised. "(Name)! Haven't seen you around in a while." he said with a kind smile.

I returned the gesture, acting like I didn't just lose my shit right before entering Libbeccio. Bucciarati insisted that I should meet the gang and eventually get on with them before moving in and 'experimenting their animalistic behavior on my own skin'. Maybe he should have warned me about that before accepting me to be part of his team. Not like I had a choice...

Bucciarati had a hand on my back, slightly pushing me forward when I would almost stop walking. He kept doing that until we arrived in one of the private rooms of the restaurant. I mean, he arrived. I decided to stay in the doorway, my nervousness getting the best of me.

The people at the table were loud... Really loud. Two of them were threatening each other while the others had an argument about how awfully tall one of them was. Bucciarati allowed himself to sigh loudly as his presence was getting ignored, while I took a deep breath. He cleared his throat loud enough for the others to hear him and stop talking. They all looked at Bucciarati like he was some kind of God. Basically scared for their lives, probably because they were familiar with his mother-like nature and two-hour long lectures. I'd lie if I said that I didn't get a few of those myself.

"You're so loud I can't even hear my own thoughts..." he mumbled before putting on his big boy face. "I brought here the new member I told you guys about." Bucciarati said as he held out his arm towards me, motioning me to enter the room and stop acting like a little kid. I did pass the doorway eventually and the people I saw... were not the people I expected. "Everyone, this is-"

"(Name)!" a blonde boy shouted as he suddenly stood up, almost knocking his chair over.

"Do you guys know-" unfortunately for him, Bucciarati got interrupted once again by another one of his team members, the one known as Mista.

"S-She's the girl- the lady th-the , FUCK! She's that woman you almost killed me for!" he shouted pointing at Fugo. The two started rambling about how Mista almost lost an eye after Fugo didn't let him say my name for the 5th time in one longass sentence.

My eyes trailed off to the man on the far left, whose features hit me like a bus. Not only was he one tall and scary man, but he was also the ex cop who decided to ghost on me. He looked... so different. His hair grew; a lot, actually. It suited him more than the army buzz cut, to be completely honest. His eyes were wide and so were mine. Neither of us expected the other. Sure, Bucciarati's description was pretty vague, but if I put my mind to it, I could at least imagine that one of his teammates was Abbacchio.

"(Name)..." he hesitantly pronounced my name, like it harmed him in any way. Now, what do people do in a 'my old cop friend watches me silently while I join the Italian mafia and his team' situation?

"Who the fuck is (Name)?!" the more childish one shouted, making Fugo turn at him.

'The woman Bucciarati brought here, you idiot!"

And now three of them were arguing on God knows what while Abbacchio kept looking at me.

"Will you guys be quiet?!" Bucciarati let a shout of his own be heard and they all stopped.

I watched the scene in front of me almost terrified. Two of them looked like they were worshipping me, one seemed to plan an assassination strictly for me and the other one just didn't know what was happening. Neither did Bucciarati. He gave me a confused look before scolding the four.