Chapter 2

Walking off the plane with nothing but my backpack in hand I looked slowly around me scanning for an exit. Spotting one I start to walk towards it unsure of where to go after I leave the airport.
The fresh air hits my face with a hot wind instantly frizzing my hair. Looking both ways I cross the street and start walking left on the sidewalk clutching my bag to myself I continue on until I'm not sure where I am anymore.
Finding a small park I settle down on a bench that sits under a tree. Sitting down I watch the families play and smell the food that I could only dream about.
I sit on the bench for some time, long enough for someone to call the police because next thing I know a nice looking lady in a uniform sits down next to me.
Hugging my bag closer I scoot down to the other end of the bench.
"Hello there," the lady says. "I am Sergeant Grant with the LAPD we received a call that a druggie was causing a disturbance down here. You wouldn't happen to know anything about that would you?"
Shaking my head scared I lick my lips trying to think of a way out if this. I don't want my Dad to find me so soon.
"N..no ma'am." I whisper trying to be polite.
"That's quite alright, I think we may just have a case of judgmental profiling here." She says as If I know what she means.
I cock my head to the side scared I did something wrong.
"Am I in trouble?" I whisper trying to keep the little out of my voice.
"Not at all sweetheart but I am afraid you are going to have to come with me. Those bruises there tell a different story." Sergeant Grant says pointing to my legs.
Whimpering I try to cover them up only just now noticing that I sweated the make-up off.
"N..no its nothing officer, I...I just um, slipped?" The words came out jumbled and questioning.
"Uh huh. And I was there when Jesus came back." She said irritation thickening her drawl.
"I'm sorry please don't be mad." I cried desperate to please her so that I wouldn't have to go to jail.
She just rolled her eyes and leaned to a squarish thing on her shoulder. Pushing down a button a crackling noise came out.
"This is Sergeant Grant to 118."
"Go for Sergeant Grant." A voice crackled scaring me.
She looked over before saying "requesting non-emergency medical backup to Northridge park 1222 fortune drive."
"Backup responding."
Sergeant Grant looked towards me with a scowl before asking what was in the bag.
Carefully I slid it over to her, "please be careful with him." I said keeping an eye out for Einstein.
She just glanced my way before opening the bag and pulling out Einstein. Setting him next to me I reached forward grabbing him I let her finish looking through my bag.
Hearing a car approaching I looked up and spotted a red and white vehicle headed towards us.
"Took 'em long enough." She said almost jokingly giving me back my bag.
I looked back and forth between the truck and her until it stopped in front of us.
Standing Sergeant Grant walked towards the truck hauling open the passenger door I watched her talk with someone for a minute until she backed up enough for the most beautiful woman to step out of the cab.
Speechless all I could do was watch until I finally focused on the woman standing in front of me.
"Hello there my name is Henrietta."