Chapter 6

Henrietta's words made me so happy that I did a little happy dance in my head before remembering she was happily married and I was a disgusting whore that no one would want. We stood in silence until Karen came back in about a minute later with the doctor lady from earlier. Karen had a happy smile on her face but I wasn't sure whether to be scared or excited by it.

"Doctor Lang here has approved us to take Alexis home tonight." Karen says with the same smile on her face only this time pointed at me.

I tried to return it but I'm pretty sure it didn't look right to anyone in the room. I was looking forward to sleeping in a warm room for a night but if they were offering me a nice yard or maybe even a doghouse I would be content. It wasn't up to me anyway.

"Alright Ms. Alexis' ribs are bruised and she has several smaller bruises and cuts along her torso and legs if you could keep an eye on those and come back if they get bigger or don't heal right. Other than that I know she's in capable hands so just let me know if you have any questions."

"Thank you Jennifer see you Monday." Karen says reaching towards the doctor and shaking hands.

As Doctor Lang left the room Henrietta turned to me and asked me to grab my bag and Einstein. Once I had everything (and I double checked I did) we made our way out of the hospital.

When we reached the car I looked at both of them for assurance before reaching for the handle and crawling in. Closing the door carefully so that I don't make them mad I sat back in the seat and buckled up. 

We pulled out of the car park in silence. Worried I would say something stupid I just let the silence stay. Leaning my head against the window I thought about my day It really had been a busy one and I was so tired. I closed my eyes for a second before opening them again determined to stay awake long enough to see the way back to town so that I wouldn't get lost once they grew tired of me.

But apparently my brain decided that survival was less important than sleep because next thing I knew we were pulling to a stop in front of a beautiful house that I should never step foot into. Crawling out of the car I stopped behind Karen and Henrietta and waited for them to unlock the door and say goodnight. 

 I was a little bit sad that I didn't have a dog house but I would be okay as long as they were nice enough. I watched them walk into the house before turning around and walking back down the steps. There was a small tree in their yard I could probably sleep under.

But I was halted from my walk to the tree by Henrietta's voice calling out, "Where are you going Little one?"

I turned to look at her before answering, "I was going to sleep."

"What do you think you are doing out there then silly?" Karen said with a teasing voice.

I got a little bit excited about the prospect of getting to sleep on the porch but I had to make sure before I did something wrong.

"You mean I get to sleep on the porch?" I asked letting the excitement seep into my voice.

"No silly," Karen started and my heart deflated a little. "You get your own room and bed in here."

I didn't know what I would have to do to earn that but I was going to do it. I was so tired I would do anything they asked. Well, almost anything.

"What do I have to do? I can't pay you I don't have any money." I said a little wary now that I realized I might have to do something unwanted.

"Oh sweetheart you don't have to do anything for a bed or even a room ever. I don't know what your life was like before but from now all you need to do is focus on getting better." Henrietta said lifting my chin so that I was facing her.

following the two inside I made sure to be careful about getting any dirt or mud on their floor. The door shutting behind me sealed my fate in more ways than one.