Chapter 14

"Oopsies," I whispered.

I shove my face into Hen's chest to hide my embarrassment. 

"I'm sorry, I didn't know that you didn't want her to know," I Whimpered clutching tighter to my women.

"Hey, no not at all she already knew, she was talking about something else. You have nothing to be sorry about little bit," Hen rubs her hand up and down my back while Karen copies her movements on my side.

"Oh then what was she talking about?" I whispered back.

"Why don't you ask her?" Karen says pointing towards Sergeant Grant.

It was then that I remembered that Sergeant Grant was still in the room with us and was watching our interaction with a growing smirk.

"Well, I was just commenting on the scare we had there for a minute. It seems that Alexis here recognizes our suspect. I was just wondering how that is?" Sergeant Grant says smiling towards our little huddle.

"How do you know him little one?" Karen asks quietly continuing with her back rubs.

"That's my dad, But please don't send me back to him! I'll be good I promise." I whisper before sitting up straighter and clutching Hen's shirt.

"We won't, trust me when we find him he won't getting anything except a jail cell for the foreseeable future." Sergeant Grant assures.

"Really? But, why?" I ask.

"Based on your reaction I am going to guess we need to add Child abuse and Unlawful imprisonment to the long list of shady and illegal things he's done in his lifetime." Sergeant Grant says with a hint of malice in her voice.

"Why? He didn't do anything. I deserved it for being bad." I looked up at Hen with a questioning glance.

"No baby, no. He hurt you and you didn't deserve any of it so get that thought out of your head." Karen whispers to me caressing the side of my face.

I lean into her touch before sitting back up and squashing that thought.

"No. I must have been bad he wouldn't hurt me if I didn't deserve it." I deny glaring at my hands that rub nervously together in my lap.

"No. Now stop this nonsense because I don't care whether or not you think you deserved suffering under that bastard's thumb for as long as you did, and when we get home we are going to set some rules starting with no talking bad about yourself." Hen punctuates her little speech with a pat to my back.

I shake my head a little but stop when Karen grips my hand a little bit harder than before.

"I think I've got all I need for now so how about we call it a day and you can bring Alexis over to my house later this month I'm sure Bobby would like to meet her." Sergeant Grant says standing up and pushing her chair in.

We follow her out to the bright hallway where we are met by large amounts of people walking all around us. I curl myself into Hen's arms and tuck my had into the crook of her neck. When we reach the door of the station Hen switches me to her other side and I realize I was too heavy for her so I pull back and wiggle trying to get out of her arms.

She sets me down onto the sidewalk and I look at the cracks under my feet before shifting a little and grabbing both of their hands. I keep my head down and walk with them towards the car. 

Shame and disgust fill my stomach. I probably hurt Hen with my weight and then I embarrassed her in front of her friend. She probably doesn't want me anymore and if she doesn't want me then Karen won't want me either. 

I need to apologize then maybe they won't leave me. By the time I make up my mind we are standing at the car and Karen is opening the door for me. I crawl into the back seat and buckle up while she closes the door. 

Once they're both in the car and buckled up I speak up, "I'm sorry I didn't mean to embarrass you. Please don't kick me out." I start out strong and end with a whisper.

"Okay then we won't wait until we get home." Karen sighs as Hen pulls off the road into a mall parking lot.

Are they going to leave me here? I messed up really bad. They hate me. I hold Einstein closer and close my eyes to try and freeze every memory I have of them and hold them in the front of my mind not that I had very many but those that I did I will cherish for the rest of my life no matter how short it will be.

I think about the first time I met Hen and how kind she was to me. I think about how Karen's smile lights up a whole room. I think about every little thing and action that they did for me to make me happy and safe. I think about how I'll never have anything like this ever again and that is when the tears fall and my world crumbles around me.