; unexpected reunion (au), pt. iii

note; i really apologize for how long it's taken me to post :( i've gotten a few lovely comments asking when the next chapter would be up and i feel so bad that im not better at being consistent for those of you who are still reading ahh. im a major perfectionist and i wrote and rewrote this chapter a million times trying to make it good enough. this chapter is a bit short and very dialogue-heavy so i dont think it's too great..but i think it's the best it's gonna get? so im challenging my perfectionism and im posting it anyways eek. i did my best tho and that's all i can do, so i hope it's okay! enjoy! (hopefully!)

-

"No."

Niall flinches. He was hoping for a different answer. "Are you sure? I don't want to pressure you, but I know how much comfort Louis brings you-"

"Brought," Harry cuts him off quickly. Louis is in his past. Louis isn't here anymore.

"Of course. Um, but maybe having him here would help? And that way I can go back to campus and grab some things for you, in case you'll be here for a little while."

Harry pauses for a moment and Niall is positive he's going to say no again or tell him to fuck off, but Harry takes a steady (read: wheezy) breath in and looks Niall in his eyes. Harry sees the pain and stress in his best friend's face. It's obvious that Niall feels stuck and exhausted and Harry feels his chest tighten, but this it's not from an asthma attack. This time it's with guilt.

"Okay," Harry rushes out before he can think of the millions of reasons he should be saying no.

The relief that washes over Niall's features is enough to make this bound-to-be-awkward situation worth it. Niall gives Harry one last peck on his forehead, telling him he loves him and that he'll see him in the morning, and goes to grab Louis.

Harry waits and it feels like an eternity. He looks around the room properly for the first time and shivers. He was a bit preoccupied when he first came in -y'know, trying to fucking breathe and survive and all- and the fear of how sick he got was starting to make an unwelcomed home in his heart. Harry knew he has asthma, of course. He was diagnosed back as a kid, when he was left breathless and panicked in the middle of his primary school football match. The doctor assured his mother that pediatric asthma was very common, and he'd most likely grow out of it by the time he turned sixteen. Clearly the world hates Harry, though, because here he is; in the hospital, at 20 years old, with an annoyingly uncomfortable cannula on his face and an even more annoyingly loud IV pump hooked up to his arm.

And not to mention an annoyingly beautiful ex-boyfriend right outside the door.

The world definitely hates him.

Harry's stomach twists along with the door handle. They're not the same bright, magical butterflies that often flitted around his tummy before. They were moths now. Dull and ugly. This feeling was much less desired than his old butterflies. He's nervous to see Louis again. He really is. He doesn't remember seeing Louis earlier even though he knows he was there. Niall told him.

The door finally opens and there he is.

Harry almost cries.

"Harry. Hi," Louis attempts to break the choking silence.

Harry does cry.

A single pathetic tear bubbles over and falls. Louis' voice. He had spent so long blocking the light, raspy sound out of his memory and now all of his hard work is ruined because Annoyingly Beautiful Louis is really here. He's here and he said his name.

"L-L-Louis."

Louis' face softened. The reserved, shy expression dropped as soon as he heard Harry talk. He didn't even sound like himself. He could barely croak out one word. This isn't how Louis imagined reuniting with him.