~18~

✧✶⭒☆⭒✶✧

Talia Monroe was in-love with Klaus Mikaelson.

That was a fact, but not the love you saw in movies. Not the love where butterflies explode in your chest as they kiss you. Not the love where your body craves theirs.

Talia Monroe had fallen head over heels in love with Klaus Mikaelson, but not the love that was expected. She wasn't even sure she was capable of that sort of love.

It was love you feel when splitting clementines with a friend. The type of love you have for someone where when you're in the grocery store and you see their favorite snack on a shelf you buy it for them, even if they didn't ask. The love that you would die for them and you would die to be with them.

The love that came from two souls, two best friends, destined to be best friends.

The issue? She had no idea.

✧✶⭒☆⭒✶✧

As Talia drifted into the deep nothingness, the plane resting between life and death, her memories flashed before her eyes.

The first one couldn't have been from when she was more than seven years old. A little girl that knew nothing of the world except the walls of the orphanage she had grown up in.

A girl with a thick mane of black curls and eyes the color of oil. A beautiful little girl.

The memories sped up, her life flashing before her eyes but not the way they described it in the movies. It was like she was watching a movie, she could press pause or fast-forward. It was such an odd feeling.

As her stomach somersaulted in her chest, or did it? She wasn't very aware of herself as she watched the memories.

Then came the first memory after she initially met Klaus.

It was 1968 and she was bussing tables at the cafe she worked at . . .

Talia's dark hair was pulled into a tight bun, as were the rules at the little cafe. Her hand swiped the rag over the table, cleaning up the crumbs and such when the bell at the door rang and all the patrons fell deathly silent.

That only happened when a white man entered . . .

She lifted her dark gaze and felt a sharp zing in her heart as she peered up at the man. The same man from the night before.

Was he stalking her? Sick in the head?

She blinked, wrapping the rag around her fist in-case she had to punch him or something. He approached, stopping in-front of her with a faint smile. "Talia?"

"Klaus," she greeted softly, eyes blazing. "Are you obsessed with me or something?"

Gasps were heard from the people around her and they rose from their seats, dark eyes fixated on the duo. It wasn't very common in these times that a black woman spoke up to a white man. She felt Rosalie's intense, brown gaze fixated between her shoulder blades, silently begging her to stand down.

The man, however, only laughed off her words. "Curious, more or less. I want to get to know you, Talia." He touched his chest and she felt a burning feeling in her chest in the same spot he touched on himself. "I have a feeling you understand." His head dipped down, blue eyes looking up at her through thick lashes.