Criminal Intent: Chapter 2

Chapter Warnings: Gun violence, swearing

***

Rurik was about ready to blow by the time he stepped down from the witness stand; the cross-examiner was an absolute jackass! The man spent half the time asking roundabout, if not flat-out goading questions and even mispronounced his name! If it wasn't for the lawyer's warnings regarding guy's reputation, he likely would have already lost his temper and decked the prick. Of course, the judge not being a dick helped as well.

Retaking his seat beside his lawyer, he took a deep breath, held it for four seconds, exhaled slowly, and repeated the process until he felt his anger begin to ebb away. "The defense calls Lotus Death to the stand," the judge boomed into the silent courtroom.

There was the brief sound of shuffling before the door in the half-wall separating the trial from the spectators was opened to let Lotus through; he strode forward with an air of determination, glancing at Rurik with a reassuring smile as he passed by; his slightly wavering eye light was the only sign of how nervous he actually was.

As he kept walking, Rurik noticed a familiar black band with a blinking red light around the small skeleton's left upper arm; he had nearly missed it since it blended into the coat's fabric so well... a suppressor band, just like the one he was wearing. Lotus hoisted himself up onto the chair behind the stand, hands clenched tightly in his lap; his nervousness took on a whole new meaning.

Rurik's eye lights burned with anger and his knuckles popped as he clenched his fists, knowing that the device effectively made his partner defenseless. What the hell was Lotus thinking? He relied heavily on his magic to protect himself in lieu of physical strength; if a fight broke out and someone attacked him, he was as good as dust.

Before Rurik could stand up and announce his outrage, a hand settled on his shoulder. Looking up at his lawyer, Will Shields, the man was silently shaking his head with a grim expression. With the message sent, the man stood and approached Lotus; he cleared his throat before beginning his spiel, "Can you please state your name for the record."

"Lotus Death," the smaller answered curtly.

"What is your relation to the defendant?" Shields continued.

"I'm his housemate and... his boyfriend," he said, blushing profusely at the last part. Rurik huffed to himself, wondering how Lotus could look adorable in this situation. The questions continued along the same vein, detailing his knowledge about who he knew the defendant to be.

Eventually, the defense lawyer took his seat beside Rurik and the cross-examination began. "The prosecution calls on Mister Bruce Flucker for cross-examination," the judge announced.

The man in question stood, crossing the distance between his table and the stand where Lotus sat in three swift strides; coming to stop before his prey, he plastered on a fake smile, "Would you state your name for the record?"

"Lotus Death," the small skeleton repeated once more.

"And your relation to the defendant?" he asked.

"His housemate and boyfriend," Lotus repeated once more, narrowing his sockets.

"How long have you known the defendant?"

"Five years," Lotus replied. Rurik watched on in confusion and annoyance; why was the guy repeating everything his lawyer had just asked?

"In those five years, would you say there have been any problems in your relationship?" A smirk played on Bruce's face.

Lotus frowned as he answered, "In the past, yes, but-"

The man cut in with his next question, with Lotus halting his explanation as they asked, "Were those problems a result of the defendant's actions?"