queer people can be legally killed?!

dear american citizens,

Your lives are in danger! But only if you're queer-

In countless states, the gay/trans panic defense has not yet been banned. While a number of states now have legislation against it, 39 states do not. That's the majority of the United States. So when you're planning your next vacation as a queer individual, make sure to take this into account. Wouldn't want to be legally shot during spring break, right?

So what is the gay/trans panic defense? The gay/trans panic defense is a legal strategy in which the defendant can argue that their actions were caused by a brief period of insanity or lack of good judgement because of a same-sex advance. Yeah. That's right. Someone can claim that they assaulted you because you were hitting on them, and basically get let off the hook for the crime.

Why does this matter? I don't know about you, but I'd like my murderer to go to jail for killing me.

Even if you don't "support" the LGBTQ+ community (cough cough homophobe), there is a basic sense of human decency that is supposed to be a part of all people. Sadly, many of us seem to be lacking it. If you don't stand up for queer rights and support equal rights for queer people, you're just as bad as a homophobe. You're enabling their behavior. This isn't necessarily a call to action, it's more of a righteous speech on why you're being stupid.

xoxo,
leo