Chapter Thirty-Five: Exposed

Gideon silently followed Professor Long through the castle. As she marched him to her office, he thought desperately about what had just transpired and how he might explain it. How much had she seen? She must have crossed paths with the Gryffindor boys as they fled. Would she question them? Would they come clean about everything?

No, Greg would never admit to what had happened in the Student Lounge, and thankfully, he had a tight enough hold on his cronies to stop them from doing so. That wouldn't stop them from talking about what had just happened, though.

Setting fire to the door had been the furthest thing from Gideon's mind, and yet it had occurred. Was there any chance it wasn't him? He hadn't intended it. He hadn't even sensed any magic inside him. But would the professor believe that? Would anyone?

Gideon clenched his fists in frustration. Just what was going on? Was it him? Or could it have been connected to Ruby's suspicions? At this rate, he was likely to be expelled before finding the answers he was looking for.

'Take a seat, Mr Maxwell,' said Professor Long as they entered her office. Gideon sat in the chair across from her. 'Please explain yourself.'

Gideon suspected Professor Long might be fishing for information with her ambiguous question, so he asked her to clarify, 'How do you mean, Professor?'

'You understand, don't you, that we are currently investigating several fires at the school?' she said patiently, her expression as statuesque as always. Gideon nodded. 'I came upon you extinguishing a fire, Mr Maxwell. So, I repeat, please explain yourself.'

The professor had seen Gideon putting out the fire but that seemed to be the extent of it. Not entirely sure of what had occurred himself, Gideon decided that being honest was the best recourse in this situation.

'I don't really know what happened, Professor. The door was on fire. There wasn't anyone else around, so I put it out.' Gideon explained.

'I see,' she said calmly. 'So, you didn't start the fire?'

'No,' Gideon answered confidently, and as he did, he realised that on some level he truly believed that.

'I happened to see Mr Stevens and his friends leaving the scene in a hurry. Did one of them start the fire?'

'No,' Gideon said before wondering whether he should have pre-emptively blamed them just in case, 'they didn't do it.'

'But they were there when it started?'

'Yes.'

'Why were you in the Courtyard and not visiting the village?'

'I was in the village, but I left early to have lunch with Professor Hagrid and Ruby Williams. I had just been at Hagrid's hut when I came upon Greg and his friends playing a game.'

'Was anybody else around?'

'Not that I noticed.'

'And why were the Gryffindor boys running away?'

'Maybe because they thought they would get blamed?' Gideon speculated, rather than admitting they were scrambling to get away from him.

'And when I speak with them, will they contradict you?'

Gideon had concluded that they wouldn't risk getting themselves in trouble. 'I don't think so. To be honest, though, I don't get on with those boys. We were the only people around, so they might say that they think I started the fire, especially Greg Stevens. But I don't think they will say that they actually saw me do anything. It really just appeared on its own.'

'I see,' Professor Long repeated. 'Well, I will be speaking with each of them. Should I find their answers differ greatly from yours, I may want to speak with you again. Should I discover you have lied to me, there will be consequences. If what you've told me is true... You'll receive twenty house points for your good deed and excellent command of the Frost Spell.'