Chapter Seventeen: Simply Magical

For a while, Gideon just stared out of the train window watching the world go by, deep in thought. The next time the train stopped he would be arriving at the world's greatest school for witchcraft and wizardry. Even if he were kicked out, he concluded that with so many other newcomers, it would surely take the teachers some time to discover his lack of magic.

If that were the case, he would still have time to explore the ancient magical castle and its grounds. He would make the most of his Hogwarts experience, however short-lived it might be. Gideon lost his train of thought when his view turned green, and the Hogwarts Express entered the countryside.

He reached into his trunk and fished out the novel he had been reading for something to do. As he read, thoughts of his surroundings crept in. He wondered what might be happening beyond his compartment on a train full of magical children. He considered exploring to meet some of the other students but quickly dismissed the idea.

Gideon had hoped he might bump into his brother on the platform that morning. However, after arriving late, that hadn't been possible. He wondered if Anthony had any idea that he was on the train, perhaps only a carriage away. Would he even be interested? He hadn't, after all, made any effort to get in touch with Gideon since the attack.

After an hour or so, the sound of movement distracted Gideon and a few children passed by his compartment window. A couple of older-looking students had simply passed by, but a group of younger students had stopped and looked in with curiosity as they made their way along the train. Gideon smiled shyly in greeting but the group just exchanged odd looks with each other.

This happened several times throughout the journey. Apparently, Gideon's eye patch wasn't going to win him any friends. The trolley lady, who came by around midday, was the first person to speak to him. Gideon had a lunch packed by Caroline, so didn't purchase anything from her. After that, he abandoned the idea that someone might join him in his compartment.

After eating his breakfast leftover sandwiches, Gideon dozed off. He awoke sometime later, practically jumping out of his chair in panic. The elusive nightmare had visited him once more. He put his hands to his forehead, struggling to remember what it was about. Naturally, a group of children had been walking past the window as this happened, and Gideon watched them walk away whispering frantically.

It was dark outside now. It occurred to Gideon that the students passing the window had been in their school robes, so he decided to retrieve his from his trunk and put them on. It was a good thing, too, as a voice echoed through the train abruptly, 'We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately.'

The train soon began to slow. Gideon's anxiety returned as it rolled to a stop. Caroline wasn't waiting for him on this end. He was all alone from this point. He heard the sound of doors opening and slamming and watched through the window as students began to empty the train.

'Leave your stuff! Firs-years this way!' came a booming voice.

Gideon mustered his courage and made his way off the train in search of the voice. However, he found himself wondering, was he a first-year? Or was he a third-year? Somehow the thought hadn't occurred to him before now. He decided to take a chance on the mystery voice. That was until he heard it again, coming from the direction of the most enormous man he had ever seen.

'Firs'-years with me! Firs'-years line-up over here!' the man roared while carrying a lamp. By the lamplight, he appeared to be at least seven feet tall. He had long, bushy, grey hair and a matching beard, and wore a long coat, which could probably have doubled as a tent.

The older students gradually dissipated, leaving a bunch of children around Gideon's height on the platform. Some of them, much to Gideon's frustration, taller than him.