warm air

8 months later (current time)

"shit!" George furiously mumbles as he tries to shove the cash register drawer shut.

a few american coins flew onto the floor.

"oh my God," he whines, throwing his head back looking up at the high ceiling.

he groans as he kneels down in his new blue vest trimmed with red stitching and a name tag labeled,

                                       Rite Aid
                                           George
                                     New Associate

yeah, George works at a fucking 24 hour rite aid.

oh and did he mention with american money?

he got kicked out of his parents house at last month and had no choice but to move in with his old friend Alex, who lives in florida.

George fucking hates it here.

it's always hot, humid, and full of people.
well it is june after all.

George, being an extreme introvert, was not used to it at all. he is great friends with Alex and loves him but Alex was the complete opposite when it came to socializing.

he makes George go to parties and double dates all the time with random girls. George never wants to say anything because Alex is nice enough to let him live with him for God knows how long and it looks like he always was having a great time even when George isn't.

he does love getting shit faced with Alex though.

George doesn't have a ton of friends, just a few close ones. well he did cut off his closest friend a few months back.

yup George actually went through with it and hasn't even replied to one of Dreams pleading texts, facetimes, discord calls, or even public game chats.

anyways, George now works at rite aid, he's not in the pharmacy section he's working as a cashier making a whopping minimum wage. (but same)

he only got hired a week or two ago but he is awful at it.

between the social skills and a completely new currency, he was obviously thrown into the shitty night shift.

he's fine with it. it means not as many people, no sun in his eyes from the massive windows lining the perimeter of the store, and it was, well, quiet.

George has been sitting crisscross on the red counter behind the register, staring at his matte black iphone playing chess. it's about 1am and it's been about 30 minutes since he bagged up the last customers  purchase.

at this time of night it's only drunk or ill people coming in for last second medicine.

George's eyes were ripped from his phone screen as his head swung towards the clashing chimes above the front door.

a man was walking in with a hoodie and joggers with his hood up.  as he turns into an isle, George turns off his phone and hops off the counter to stand behind the register.

George waits quietly as the man searches up and down the off white isles. he's to nervous to ask him if he needs help but also doesn't care.

if a grown ass man can't navigate a rite aid himself it would just be embarrassing.

George taps his foot as the fuzzy radio music radiates from the ceilings speakers. he pans his eyes to focus on the large clock on the wall. it reads 1:57 am, just three more hours to go.