𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍||𝐌𝐘 𝐍𝐀𝐌𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐓𝐑𝐎𝐔𝐁𝐋𝐄/𝐁𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐃 𝐃𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐒

     "YOU SOLD IT?" BROOKLYN EXCLAIMED, HER EYES WIDE IN DISBELIEF. Spencer had just admitted to selling Melissa's wedding ring after finding it underneath the toaster despite Brooklyn telling her to return it to her sister.

"I didn't sell it, I pawned it," Spencer corrected as she fidgeted with her fingers. "It's only temporary. Plus I really needed the money."

Brooklyn scoffed as she pushed herself off of the wall in Spencer's room. "What could be so important that you'd sell your sister's wedding ring for it?"

"Toby," Spencer answered with a sigh. "I... I don't like that he's working for Jason and he really needed the money to buy a truck so that he can get a job in Yardley."

"So you bought him the truck."

Spencer nodded. "I'm gonna go back for the ring on Monday when I have the money for it, I just really needed to get Toby away from Jason and that house."

"Trust me, I understand that, I do but you better pray that Melissa doesn't find out because she will skin you alive."

"Don't you think I know that?" Spencer groaned, plopping down on her bed beside Brooklyn. After coming over the night before, the Woods girl had spent the entire day with Spencer at her house until the Hastings girl left to go pawn her sisters ring and buy Toby's truck. "Please, don't tell her."

Brooklyn laughed as she raised her hands in surrender. "Why on earth would I tell Melissa? She, for some unknown reason, hates me. I'm sure she'd run me over with a tractor if she could." Spencer and Brooklyn laughed together until they heard a noise from the hallway.

"Did you hear that?" Spencer wondered.

"Well, yeah. I'm sitting right next to you." Spencer sent Brooklyn a look before making her way toward her door, standing behind it so that she could hear Melissa on the other side. "What're you doing?" Brooklyn asked Spencer when she rushed to grab her phone, hurriedly tapping on the screen.

"Texting the others. Melissa's leaving and I think she's going to meet Ian."

⚫︎⚫︎⚫︎

"What's she doing?" Hanna asked Spencer who was occasionally peering out of her window. Spencer'd texted the others to come to her house because she thought Melissa was finally meeting up with Ian and so far, the only ones to arrive were Aria and Hanna.

"I don't know. She's still in the barn," Spencer answered before turning toward Brooklyn. "Anything?" Spencer had asked the girl to keep an eye out for a text or a call from Emily.

Brooklyn shook her head. "Nothing. Her phones probably off."

"Or maybe she crashed early," Aria guessed, trying to calm Spencer down.

"Hey, why don't you tell us about your art class at Hollis," Brooklyn suggested, wanting to talk about something to ease their minds.

"It was going great until Jenna realized that I was taking the class too," Aria grumbled as she picked at her already chipped nail polish.

"What happened?" Hanna asked the petite girl.

"After I realized that Jenna was in the class, I kept my distance. I didn't speak to her, I didn't look at her—I was too scared to even breathe on her," Aria rambled. "Then I got asked what my name was and I panicked so I said that it was Anita. All was fine until earlier tonight when she asked me to help her with her pottery candle. She told me this story about how she used to swim a lot before her accident. She said that the pottery candle was a representation of what she remembered to be the sunlight hitting the water, and without even thinking, I started talking. She recognized my voice almost immediately and flipped out on me."