𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄||𝐂𝐀𝐑𝐄𝐅𝐔𝐋 𝐖𝐇𝐀𝐓 𝐔 𝐖𝐈𝐒𝐇 𝟒

     BROOKLYN-MAY WALKED THE hallways of Rosewood High school with her backpack loosely hanging from her shoulder. Her hands tightly gripped her schedule as she looked around for her locker. As she turned a corner, she ran into a girl that stood around five foot two with big, honey brown eyes.

"I'm so sorry," the girl apologized.

"Uh, me too. I wasn't paying attention."

"Hey... I haven't seen you before, so you must be new. I'm Mona." Brooklyn looked down at the girls outstretched hand and hesitantly placed her hand in hers.

"Brooklyn."

"You look a little lost, Brooklyn," Mona spoke, emphasizing Brooklyn's name. "What can I help you find?"

"My locker," Brooklyn answered as she handed Mona her schedule that also had her locker number on it.

"Oh, sweetie, you're on the complete opposite side of the school. Here, I'll take you."

"Thanks." As Brooklyn followed behind Mona, she couldn't help but notice how fast the girl walked despite having such short legs. While Mona walked with a confident smile on her face, Brooklyn kept her head down so that her hair could cover the sides of her face. Brooklyn just so happened to look up as they were passing the cafeteria which was filled with students and decorations. "What's going on in there?"

"They're decorating for the Dance-A-Thon tomorrow night. You should totally go."

"Pass," Brooklyn denied. "I'm not into dances." That was only partially true. Ever since the last school dance she went to, Brooklyn made it her mission to avoid large groups such as dances and parties.

"At least think about it," Mona encouraged with a smile on her face. "Here we are, locker twenty two forty seven."

"Thanks, Mona."

"No problem! If you need help finding something or you have any questions, just flag me down and I'll be more than happy to help."

"I'll keep that in mind." Brooklyn waited for Mona to walk away before opening her locker, moving her textbooks from her backpack to inside the small, metal box. While she was preoccupied with her locker, the very man that she hoped to avoid—despite him being a teacher at her new school and her older brother—walked down the hall she was in, stopping when he saw her face.

"Lyn?" Ezra questioned, not believing that his sister was really standing a few feet in front of him. Brooklyn froze and bit her bottom lip, scared to say anything. As quickly as she could, she closed and locked her locker then walked away. Unfortunately for her, Ezra didn't take the hint and he grabbed her wrist. "Lyn, what're you doing here?"

"Trying to get my education, but you make that very hard to do when you won't let me get to class," Brooklyn spoke sarcastically. She raised her hand that Ezra still had in his grip. "Do you mind?"

Ezra release a puff of air from between his lips. "Wow... you cut your hair." Brooklyn opened her mouth to say something to her brother but decided against it and instead walked away from him. She didn't know where she was going, but she didn't care as long as Ezra stopped following her.

⚫︎⚫︎⚫︎

Starting school on a Friday would've been ideal for Brooklyn if her brother hadn't shown up to her hotel room the following morning, telling her that he had signed her up to work one of the game tables at the Dance-A-Thon where he'd be chaperoning. He wanted to talk to her but she had been dodging his calls like he'd done to her after Alison's funeral. Begrudgingly, Brooklyn left her hotel to buy a dress that she'd return after the dance.