four - unexpected guests

Louis awoke unceremoniously to the sound of Niall's loud, obnoxious voice, and he couldn't contain the soft growl that rumbled through him. The other three boys froze in the mouth of the cave, watching with matching furrowed brows as Louis made sure that Harry's still-naked body was completely covered by the blankets.

"Shut up!" he hissed, bringing a finger to his lips as he glared at the other boys. He gestured to Harry's sleeping form. "If you wake him, I'll have your balls."

"Christ, you're annoying. The both of you," Zayn replied quietly, but even he gazed fondly at Harry's curled-up figure, struggling to keep the smile from his face.

When Harry was happy, the entire world knew it. Flowers started to bloom and the air turned warm again, and birds whistled cheerfully in the trees. It was infectious in the best way possible.

The other boys busied themselves quietly in their own corners of the cave, leaving Louis to admire the peaceful beauty of his sleeping mate. He traced the delicate edge of Harry's jawline with the soft pad of his index finger. Tiny puffs of air escaped the younger boy's parted lips, and Louis couldn't resist tracing those, too, brushing his thumb lightly over Harry's full lower lip.

Harry's eyelashes fluttered suddenly, and he sighed more than spoke: "Lou?"

Louis cooed at the younger boy's crinkling eyes and scrunched nose, still unable to believe how adorable his omega was -- even after all this time. "Hi, angel. Feeling alright?"

A lazy smile tugged at Harry's lips, and he groaned as he stretched in Louis's arms. "Sore," he complained, his smile spreading out into a grin. "But good. Really good."

"How's your head? Still fuzzy?"

"A bit," Harry admitted sheepishly. His eyes opened fully for the first time, and Louis let himself drown in their familiar green.

"Want to rest more? You can take as much time as you need," he fretted, studying Harry's face carefully. He brushed a stray curl from the younger boy's forehead, twirling it delicately around his index finger. And even though Harry knew, he assured him, "I'm not going to let anything happen to you."

Harry shook his head, yawning widely. "I'm okay," he said, his voice still softer and slower than normal. "Want to come out. I'm good." He stretched again, then buried his face back in Louis's chest, inhaling his alpha's soothing pheromones. "Thank you. I love you."

Louis snorted, tapping Harry's nose playfully. "I should be thanking you. You know, me and my knot always appreciate you and your kinky sexual needs --"

"Louis Tomlinson!" Harry exclaimed, his tone laced with disbelief and reprimand. He shoved the alpha lightly, giggling even as his cheeks flushed with embarrassment.

Louis just grinned, kissing his cheeks and then his nose and then his lips, making Harry blush an even deeper red. Kissing Harry was something that Louis would never get enough of -- Harry's cheeks turned even more hot and rosy than when they did absolutely filthy things together, and he breathed out these adorable, soft little sighs that melted into the heat of Louis's mouth.

"We need to get up," the alpha said finally, hearing the other boys starting to mill about the cave. They had a lot to do in the last few hours of the day; they hadn't been hunting in a while, so their food supply was running low. Niall and Harry had been talking about restocking their cooking and medicinal ingredients for at least a week, but they still hadn't got around to it.

"I don't want to," Harry whined, burrowing further into Louis's side and mumbling, "Warm."

"As much as I want to lay here with you until tomorrow morning, we also really need to --" his stomach rumbled loudly, making the omega giggle into his chest "-- eat."