twenty two - shattered

They only managed to drag Louis away for a few minutes.

Those few minutes were excruciating, though. A small group of soldiers had to practically carry Harry to the next checkpoint, a clearing of similar size just about a hundred feet away from the first one. Every time he stumbled, they only forced him to move faster, hauling him forward by both arms until his feet barely met the ground anymore.

"The alpha was resisting," one of the guards said. He forced Harry to stop so abruptly that he lurched forward, falling to his knees with a harsh cough. "He seemed to be rather helpful last time, so I had some of the new trainees bring him along. They just needed to, well . . . subdue him first."

"Expected. It's convenient having the alpha here. He inspires cooperation much better than I even could."

At the sound of her voice, Harry glanced up from where he knelt on the ground. His gaze met his mother's -- the witch's -- immediately. A chill ran down his spine. As he studied her, his father's words rang in his ears. He tried to find any sort of resemblance, any trace of himself in her cold, calculating eyes.

He found none. He couldn't decide if he was disappointed or relieved.

She smiled down at him, reaching down to brush his tangled hair back from his forehead. "One checkpoint opened, four to go. Better get to work."

"I can't do any more," Harry whispered. "I didn't even have a chance to rest."

"You don't need rest when you have the proper motivation." Something over his shoulder caught her attention, and her smile grew. "Ah, look. Right on time."

For the first time in his life, rather than soothing his nerves, Louis's voice made Harry's stomach turn. As he glanced over his shoulder, his eyes searching for his alpha, the witch gripped his hair and yanked his head back, making him whimper.

"Take your fucking hands off of him!" Louis raged. The group of guards that surrounded him had chained his arms together, effectively restraining him -- for now.

The witch ignored him. "Now. Let's try this again. What do you say? Checkpoint number two?"

"I'll do it," Harry whispered. "I can do it."

She released her hold on his hair, letting his head loll forward. "There's a good boy. Let's get to work."

"Harry," Louis warned.

"I can do it," he repeated, a bit louder this time. He wasn't sure who he was trying to convince: the witch? Louis? Himself?

Either way, he wouldn't let her hurt Louis. Not because of him. Even if her plan to separate the packs was complete and utter lunacy, he could play along.

Harry wasn't made to save the world. His mate was his entire world, and he would do anything to protect Louis. If that made him a villain, if that made him selfish . . . so be it.

As he focused the small amount of energy he had left on the tiny crack in the ground, it instantly started to spread. At least the feeling was familiar now. With every inch that the Earth split, the pressure between Harry's shoulder blades grew, digging into his bones until he was shaking.

He paused, inhaling a shuddering breath. The moment his arms fell to his sides, the witch stood in front of him, staring him down.

"Keep going," she said sharply.

"I-I don't know --"

"Keep going." Harry watched her lift one hand, her fingers splayed with the invisible threat of magic. "Or I'll start cutting your mate the way you're supposed to be cutting the ground."