Eighteen

Damien blinked as he felt the familiar magic of the tablet wash over him. He yawned and stretched his arms up above his head. From outside his frame, he could hear the sound of movement as the rest of the museum came to life. He stuck his head out the frame to peer at the entrance to the Egyptian exhibit. It was open, the gates left alone against the walls. It was a relief, no matter that he checked each time he woke. Damien didn't want the security guards to lock him in.

The sound of stone moving made him smile. He stepped out, shivering as the air turned cold. His portrait was always warm with desert dryness. The wooden lid of the sarcophagus lifted and two bandaged hands moved it carefully down to the floor. Damien grinned and held out a helping hand. Ahkmenrah took it and he pulled the pharaoh onto his feet. "Good evening", he smiled.

"Damien", Ahk beamed at him. His green eyes bright. He had stopped wrapping the bandages round his face when he returned to his coffin. Something about them being too stuffy. "Good evening", he echoed as he draped his arms over Damien's shoulders. The blonde smiled and leaned in to press a gentle kiss to the Pharaoh's lips. Ahk's eyes fluttered closed as they kissed slowly . Both of them taking a second to bask in each other's presence. After a minute, they pulled away.

"What is the plan this night?" Damien asked. Ahk hummed as he ran his fingers over Damien's suspenders.

"I believe that Teddy was to show us the moving pictures again". Since Larry had left almost two years ago now, and no new night guard replaced him, they had all arranged to have a group night once a week. It was fun and they all took turns organising it. Tonight was Teddy's or the miniatures turn.

Damien laughed. "That's called a video Ahk. Although, in my day they were silent and in black and white. The effect they have now is amazing. That movie Larry showed us with the moving art, what were they called again? -oh, cartoons! Animation! Marvellous thing!" He was about to rant on about how the movie was just a animal version of Hamlet with musical numbers, when Ahk's amused chuckled interrupted. "Ah. I suppose you should get changed", Damien smiled and carefully removed Ahk's arms.

Ahkmenrah leaned forwards and rubbed their noses together before stepping back. "Give me a few minutes Dami". Damien nodded and returned to his portrait to grab his jacket. He swung it over his shoulders and buttoned it up. When he was done, he returned to the museum to help Ahk with the bandages he was still stuck on. When he was done, he smiled at him. His golden crown making him look as handsome as always.

"Shall we greet the others?" He held out a hand. Damien took it without a second thought.

"Wait". He paused and Ahk blinked at him in confusion. Damien grinned and pressed another kiss to his lips. A quick light touch. "There. Okay. Let's go and see everyone".

As usual, everyone had convened in the entrance hall of the museum. The hun, civil war dolls, cave men and various others hanging round in groups. Teddy was talking to Sacajawea and he looked up as Damien and Ahk descended the stairs. "Ah, hello boys", he smiled at them. "Ahkmenrah, Damien. How are you this fine night?"

"As pleasant as usual Teddy", Ahk replied warmly.

"What are tonight's plans?" Damien queried.

Teddy grimaced and shot a huff look towards the reception desk. "I was planing to show a film but the miniatures have organised a series of games and the others seem excited. I haven't the heart to protest". Damien turned and waved at the small figures of Octavius and Jed. The two tiny men were discussing, or arguing, animatedly with big arm gestures. They paused to wave at them before returning to whatever they were doing.

"What sort of games?" Ahk asked. "Chase the scarab?"

"What sort of game is that?" Damien frowned in confusion. Ahk merely grinned but didn't answer.