Nineteen

Damien's feet pounded as he sprinted down the silent corridor. He had lost any companion a few turns back. They had run into Attila and the civil war puppet that had been running with him served as a good distraction for Damien to sneak away in the gloom. Now he was by himself and the dark was silent. The only light coming from the streetlights through the windows. But there weren't very many windows in the museum. The thick marble walls serving to keep the dark thick and gloopy.

Damien slowed to a walk. His breath coming fast in his chest. Adrenaline heightened by the lack of sight and the silence, pounded in his veins in a thrilling sensation that made him jittery. He listened, hearing distant noises and shouts but no footsteps. He was alone with his breathing. Only the worn soles of his shoes making noise on the cold floor. He guessed that he was towards the back of the museum on the second floor. Probably near the curator's office. Whatever the guy's name was again, Damien had never remembered it as the man didn't stay past dark.

He turned a corner and breathed out a sigh of relief. There, illuminated by the moon shining through a window opposite, was the door to the curator's office. He could hide out in there until three and the game was over. Barely any of the exhibits strayed back here. Damien liked it because the office had a very comfy leather sofa int he corner. He could wait there in comfort. It seemed like a solid plan.

He crept along the hallway. There were more windows here and they lit the corridor in a silvery sheen. A noise disturbed him and he froze. It was a metal crash. Distant but not overly alarming. Most probably someone running into one of the metal gates. Still, it caught Damien by surprise. He looked around. His form lit by the moon. It glistened his hair and shite shirt with a white sheen. His blue eyes seeming clear in the light. There was nothing to see but gloom and dark.

Another sound, a rustle of clothing. Damien began moving in a quick walk. His heart thudding in his ears. The slap of a shoe against the marble in the dark and he began running. The few feet to the office door seemed like a mile away. His hands had just caught around the handle when two arms reached out and caught him round the waist. Damien yelped loudly as he was pulled back off his feet and into the moonlight. The door swinging open just as his hands lost their grip.

He squeaked with adrenaline fuelled giggles as he was set down and turned around. Ahk grinned at him triumphantly. His curly hair was in disarray from the running and there was a light sheen of exhilaration to his face. Bright green eyes gazed at him, almost glowing under the moon. Damien tipped his head back with laughter as he draped his arms around the other man's frame. Ahk had borrowed a pair of brown trousers and a vest top that showed off his arms and shoulders. He was beaming at Damien triumphantly.

"Told you I'd catch you", he smirked. His grip on Damien's waist tightened as if in point.

"I was so close", Damien complained. "I had half an hour left". He poked Ahk in the shoulder. "You scared the spirit out of me".

"Sorry Darling". Ahk was chuckling, looking too proud of himself to be sorry. Damien lowered his arms to the Pharaoh's waist and smirked at him.

"How many people are left?"

"Only about five".

Damien licked his lips and blew some hair from his face. "So", he smiled. "Attila can deal with them. We have half an hour and an empty office. Do you want to waste time?"

Ahk smiled and pretended to consider it. His expression so obviously teasing that Damien rolled his eyes fondly. After two years together, he could read Ahk like a book. "Time is ours to waste". Ahk let out a bark of laughter as Damien picked him up this time. He didn't hold him up very long. Just long enough to carry him into the office before setting him down and closing the door behind them.