twenty five

He did not get far before they began to catch up with him. The heels of his shoes clicking on the concrete as he ran. Damien threw himself round a corner, crying out as arms reached out to grab him. He spun round them but momentum kept pulling him forwards and he stumbled into one of the crates. Wood bruising his shoulder as he threw himself into a duck as the two soldiers that had cornered him grabbed at him again. Knees hit the floor with a crack and he was scrambling up and staggering away from their arms into a stumbling run. Fear making him pick up speed as his pursuers gave chase.  

Damien risked a glance back as he tumbled round another corner. The two Egyptian soldiers were barefoot and held no spears but they were catching up on him. It was this moment where his attention was on the people behind him that made him slip up. He turned round just in time to see two more soldiers round the corner in front of him. He skidded to a halt. The corridor was block and he had no where to go. Still, he struggled as the men forced his arms behind his back and began to march him through the maze. He fought their grip until one unsheathed a knife and held it to his throat. He let himself be marched forwards grimly.

Damien lost track of how many turns they had made, not that it would have helped. He had been lost by the time they had caught him and this did not help his sense of direction. Their tight grip on his arms was the only reason he didn't try and make a break for it. They were holding him too tight for that. When they finally exited the maze of crates, it was to see Kahmenrah waiting for them. He was dressed in a shorter wrap around sash than the one that Ahk favoured. He wore an ornate breastplate of gold and lapis lazuli which matched the oval of his headpiece.  He smirked slightly as Damien was marched forwards and shoved onto his knees at his feet. His knees cracked on the hard concrete floor and he bit his lip to hold back a gasp of pain. 

"Ah, if it isn't my little brother's friend", he remarked as he crossed his arms. Then the smirk became a leer. "Or should is say lover? His soulmate". 

Damien blew his hair out of his face and put on a disdainful expression. It was an expression he would wear back in university to keep unwanted people from talking to him. "And if it isn't the murderer, the false king. I would say its my pleasure but I honestly can't think of a worse way to spend my time than in your company". 

Kahmenrah hissed at the insult an his hand struck out. Damien felt the blow knock him to the side, cheek bright red with the imprint of a handprint across it. "You should hold more respect for a king". Kahmenrah's voice was harsh and angry. 

"You are not my king. News flash, you have been dead for four thousand years. The world does not care for your rule. You are recorded in history as a traitor and a murderer who stole the crown by force. Ahk is the true king and the only one I'll follow". 

Kahmenrah snarled and grabbed Damien by the collar of his shirt, heaving him up so that their faces were close together. He immediately spit in the Egyptian's face. Kahmenrah dropped him and he landed heavily on the stone floor as the man stumbled back away from him, one arm rubbing the saliva from his face. "Seize him!" He cried, one hand pointing. Two soldiers snatched him by the arms and hauled him up and wrestled his head down. Damien cried out at the rough treatment and gritted his teeth against the bruising grip. 

"You", Kahmenrah seethed, eyes narrowed down at him. "Will regret choosing my brother over all that I could offer". 

"I doubt that", Damien grinned, half his face was pink and there was a dot of blood on the corner of his lip. "I have never felt more alive than with him. So, fuck you". 

Kahmenrah jerked his hand in a order. "Bring him. We shall see if he still has such fight when we kill his friends". 

The soldiers dragged him forwards as Kahmenrah strode off. Damien let them support his weight, legs half stumbling. His knees hurt from when he was shoved and his face stung sharply from the slap. The exertion of spending hours running was finally catching up with him and he felt exhausted and therefore did not feel guilty about letting the soldiers half carry, half drag him along. Kahmenrah walked as if he knew where he was going and Damien was stuck with a sudden panic. Did the man know where his friends were hiding?