Eight

As soon as the sun set Damien was springing from his frame and crossing over to the sarcophagus. He gave a tap to the lid and waited for a second. An answering knock sounded from within. Smiling, Damien leaned closer and brushed his hand along the wood. "I'm going to go and talk to Larry", he said. "I will be back before dawn. Do you want me to leave some music on for you while I'm out?" One knock sounded and he grinned. He skipped back to his tent and messed with the gramophone for a bit. Soon the sounds of classical filled the room. Double concerto in D minor by Bach, something that Damien always found easy listening

"Is this okay?" He asked as he knelt down by the sarcophagus again. There was one tap of agreement. "Good. Now that should play for a while until the gramophone looses power. There are a few more songs on there, so don't worry. I should hopefully be back before it runs out. Stay put". He chuckled at the pun and stood up. A soft sound, the gentle brushing of bandages against wood. Damien smiled fondly and copied the gesture. He brushed his hand along the top of the sarcophagus in response before stepping away.

The museum was busy. All the exhibits were wandering around the halls talking with each other. Damien pushed past a few of them to the Easter head. "Mi Mi", it greeted. It was chewing something loudly, stone moving as it smacked it's lips.

"Easter head", Damien raised and eyebrow. "Did the dum dum finally give you gum gum?"

"Dum dum gave me lots of gum gum", it responded happily. It blew a big pink bubble as if to prove its point. The bubble popped and it began chewing again.

Damien gave it a amused look. "Do you know where the dum dum went?" He asked.

"Dum dum in small room", the head hummed, voice muffled by the gum. Damien blinked for w moment before realising what the head meant. The small room. The miniatures exhibit.

"Thank you Easter head!" He called as he began jogging away.

"Bye bye mi mi", the Easter head's voice echoed down the corridor behind him.

True to the Easter head's word, Damien caught Larry just as the man was leaving the hall of miniatures. The man was carrying a blue bag on one shoulder and was walking quite fast. He looked up as Damien approached, expression cautious. "Damien", he greeted, not stopping.

"Mr Larry", Damien nodded. He stuck his head inside the hall to see the tiny figures of Romans and cowboys start to crawl out of their cases. "You've let them be free?" He asked in surprise.

"It's Mr Daley actually, Larry is my first name", Larry corrected. Damien sped up a bit to catch up with him. "And Jed and Octavius and I have made a deal".

"Then you shouldn't protest in unlocking the pharaoh's sarcophagus. And my name is Mr, or Dr Jean to you", Damien stated. "Only my friends call me Damien".

Larry sighed as they avoided group of African tribesmen. The group were dancing in the middle of the hall. Colourful robes and spears flying as they moved to the beat of the drum. Damien had to duck to avoid a particularly enthusiastically spun spear. The tip of which narrowly avoided his head. "Okay Dr Jean, I would if I could but I need to lock up the African mammals room first. Then there's other things".

"You're stalling Mr Daley", Damien scowled. "Either give me an answer, or not".

"Look!" Larry huffed. "I will let him out at some point. Just not now". They were approaching the exhibit and Damien watched as Larry began to draw the metal gates closed. From inside a lion snarled.

"Do you give me your word Larry Daley, that you will free him?" Damien asked, not backing down. He stared at the man frostily.

Larry sighed heavily. "Alright, I give you my word". Damien grinned. Of course he knew that the man's word might not be enough. He had a plan and hopefully this one will work.

A small chittering noise made them both look down. Dexter the monkey was sitting in the floor behind them. The metal gates were still partially open in Larry's hands and the man waved a hand at it. "Hi Dexter, I'm just locking up. You want in?" The money nodded and reached up to climb onto Larry's back. He hopped onto the metal gate and climbed into the trees.

Damien rolled his eyes as Larry made a show of realising that his keys were missing. Dexter held up a roll of colourful plastic keys that even Damien, who didn't really know what plastic was, knew was for infants. Larry smirked triumphantly and took out his real keys. He shook them at the monkey and smoothly locked the metal gate. "You've got the baby keys. Those for little babies. Maybe tomorrow night I can bring you a little baby diaper to go with your little baby keys", he teased in a stupid voice. Dexter made a little noise, not happy at being made fun off.

Damien scoffed loudly at the display. "How unbecoming", he muttered. Larry heard him but ignored him. He strolled away with a pleased skip to his step. As soon as he was out of sight Damien approached the metal gate. Dexter was perched in the fake trees. The monkey making little grumpy noises at being fooled.

"Dexter", Damien called. The monkey looked up and greeted him with a little chirp. Damien smiled, he liked the little fellow. "Look over there", he pointed towards the exhibit's far wall where the silver grate of a air vent was visible. Dexter made a small noise of realisation. Really the monkey was cleverer than some humans Damien had known. "That's all I'm giving you buddy", he shrugged. A small sound of annoyance followed his words and Damien grinned. "See you". He waved and Dexter waved back with a small smile as he strolled round the corner.

Unedited