Twelve

Damien winced as a thunderous crash sounded as the heavy rock lid that had been covering the sarcophagus, collided with the metal gates. The metal burst out at the force, clattering to the floor. Larry was the first out. He jumped over the wreckage with Nicky on his heels. Ahkmanrah and Damien followed behind them. Ahkmanrah now fully dressed in gold finery befitting a pharaoh. Like everything in the museum, the once faded and aged materials were brought back to their true finery at night. Damien could imagine Ahkmanrah on a throne in Egypt, just as he would have been four thousand years ago.

Ahkmanrah wore a shendyt, which was a long pleated kilt. The fabric were in golden yellow and deep blue. The ends brushing his ankles and the top held up with a wide bejewelled belt that sat high on his waist. His chest was bare but mostly covered by the wesekh, or wide collar that hung low over his skin. It matched the pattern of jewels on the belt. Under it was a long billowing shoulder cape that went all the way down to the floor. The sleeves were cuffed by large golden wrist guards that matched the deshret on Ahkmanrah's head. A large golden crown of lower Egypt that Damien knew to be fashioned on the image of the rearing cobra. He remembered researching it, taking in its glory for the first time. Although it was a different thing to see it in it's fully glory. Damien had to repeatedly remind himself to stop staring.

"Thanks guys", Larry called back to the jackal guards. The stone guards raised their fists over their hearts in salute. "Don't worry, I'll look out for him". One of the guards pointed towards Damien. "And Dr Jean as well", Larry added. "Thanks again!" He turned and ran after the others.

The four of them burst out onto the gallery into chaos. Bellow the entrance hall was full of exhibits brawling and destroying things. Paper littered the floor and shouts echoed off the walls. Damien could see the Roman and cowboy miniatures all locked in combat on the reception desk. There was a ostrich running around squawking as it flapped its wings. "What is that?" Ahkmanrah asked as Attila and his group of huns emerged on the other side of the gallery.

"Huns", Larry muttered. "Come on, I've got to deal with this guy". He began running. On the other side of the gallery, the huns began running too. Damien jogged behind him, wondering what was going on. He exchanged looks with Ahkmanrah and grinned. Judging by the pharaoh's expression, he didn't know either. His eye were wide and he kept looking around in awe, obviously relishing the freedom. It was adorable.

The two groups collided with screams. Attila and Larry standing and screaming in each other's faces until their cheeks went red. Damien raised and eyebrow at the childishness of it all. After a surprisingly long moment, they both stopped and glared. Attila spitting out a few sentences in Hunnish at them, hands waving wildly. Larry shouted back a lot of nonsensical jibberish. Damien looked down and exchanged suffering looks with Nicky. The boy rolling his eyes at his dad's antics as Damien chuckled.

"Excuse me Larry", Ahkmanrah spoke up. "I speak hun".

"Do you?" Damien blurted. "Wow. Did you learn it during the tribal exhibition to egyput? There was a lot of discussion on wether that actually happened or not. We found very little evidence but your record show that there was at lest some trade with the Silk Road. Any hun travellers must have come from there. How old were you when that happened? Did it persist through your rule? To think that those historians were wrong all this time".

"Damien", Ahkmanrah smiled at him fondly. "As much as I would love to answer you, maybe another time?" Damien blinked, brain replaying the sound of his name.

"Um yes, sorry", he muttered. He lowered his gaze and rubbed a hand over his head as he flushed. His excitement was really getting the better of him.

Ahkmanrah grinned at him for a second longer before turning to Attila. He bowed his head as he spoke, the language flowing easily from his lips. Damien was surprise by how natural it sounded. Attila responded sharply, hands making a violent gesture. Ahkmanrah turned back to Larry, face blank. "He says that he wants to rip you apart". The simplicity in how Ahkmanrah translated the statement made Damien snort. He covered his mouth with his hand to hide his chuckles.

"Yes I get it", Larry huffed. He made eye contact with Attila. "You want to rip things. But I think that's because someone ripped you, in here", he gestured to his heart. "Little baby Attila a long time ago right here? They ripped something out didn't they. They ripped the love right out of you, didn't they. Little baby all alone in a tent while dad went out to plunder some town or pillage someplace, just doing his job. But who was left alone? You". Damien wasn't sure how much Attila understood, but Larry's soft tone and gentle voice must have gotten through. Which was good, because Larry still wasn't making much sense.

Attila burst into tears. Damien was in stitches. He bent over to try and muffle his giggles but he couldn't help it. It was just too silly and awkward and for some reason that made the whole thing absolutely hilarious. Nicky gave him a look and elbowed him. Damien waved a apologetic hand but then he caught sight of the other Hun's fearful faces and his laughter redoubled. The hun were all looking at Larry with a mixture of fear and sorrow. The proud warriors suddenly afraid of crying. Larry's new power on them was to turn them into sobbing messes. It was all too much. Damien was going to die laughing.

Hands were on his shoulders, pulling him up into a standing position. Damien's laughter died in to wild giggles as he leaned against Ahkmanrah. The Egyptian watched him with a interested but confused smile as Damien giggled against his shoulder. "You are a weird one Damien Jean", he remarked amusedly.

Damien gasped for breath, face pink as he tried to stop laughing. "Sorry but neither of them have no idea what's going on and attila's now crying. They all look so terrified!" He burst into another round of giggles.

Larry peered over at them from around Attila's back. Ahkmanrah and him shared a confused look as Damien rested his forehead on Ahkmanrah's shoulder. "I'm drawn to you", he breathed out between giggles. "It must be your Pharaohmones". He smiled widely as the joke gained a huff and a fond roll of the eyes.

"Oohh", Nicky piped up with a grin. "I've got one. What do you call a camel with not humps?"

"What?" Damien asked.

"Humphrey". Larry sighed as Damien burst out laughing again. Nicky smiled smugly.

Unedited