chapter 2

Kara can't help but feel guilty ignoring Lena, but she has to listen to Alex's instructions, otherwise, she might end up puking her guts out completely. For the rest of the day, Kara ignores Lena's texts and phone calls. She even lies and says she's too sick to be around anyone. The lie doesn't seem to ease Lena's nerves and makes her want to be there for Kara even more. Lena gets desperate enough to call Alex.

"Hello?" Alex says when she answers the phone.

"Hi, Alex." Lena says, "I'm really worried about Kara. Is she okay? She's been ignoring my calls and texts. Says she's too sick to see anyone?"

Alex panics slightly, she isn't too great at lying. "Yeah, she's okay. She's just not feeling too well."

"Oh, well is it okay if I see her? I could help her feel better." Lena suggests.

Alex feels bad for the woman. She knows deep down Lena cares a lot for Kara. "Um, not right now, I think it's best if you keep your distance."

"My distance? Alex with all due respect, you're aware who you're asking, aren't you?" Lena pushes. "I'm her best friend."

Alex sighs, damn this woman is as stubborn as Kara, no wonder they get along so well, if Lena weren't with Jack, Alex would think that they're in love, "Yes, Lena, I am. Just give Kara some space, okay? I promise she's fine." Alex says,

There's a pause..."Okay, fine, I'll give her space, but the moment something bad is happening, I need you to tell me, okay? Promise you won't let me be kept in the dark about Kara's health." Lena begs. "Please."

"I will." Alex promises, "You trust me to take care of my own sister, don't you?"

"Of course I do." Alex can practically see the brunette roll her eyes. "I have to run, but thanks for letting me know she's okay."

"Anytime Lena,'" Alex replies, "Have a good day."

"I'll try, thanks, you too.." and the line clicks.

Lena's still being actively ignored by Kara and she's worried. Beyond worried. She has no idea what's going on, but all she wants to do is take the hurt Kara feels away from her. She knows she should be keeping her distance, but she just can't .

She tries to call Kara again, but reaches voicemail. ' You've reached the voicemail of Kara Danvers. Sorry I missed your call ' Sighing. Lena leaves a voicemail. " Hey Kara, I hope you're okay. I'm really worried about you, darling, and so is Jack. Alex asked me to keep my distance but I can't. Please let me know you're okay darling, okay? I love you. Bye. "

Alex is anxious, nothing makes sense and looking through every single medical book doesn't seem to explain this mysterious disease that has now affected her sister.

"This makes no sense, J'onn." Alex says, "Why is my sister coughing up flowers?"

"There is something.." J'onn said, then he gasped, "I got it. Stay here." he ran off real quick and came back with an old, dusted book. "I remember my father told me a story of a disease ages ago." he says. "It only affects the supernatural, mythical, magical and paranormal. The disease of unrequited love."

"A disease of unrequited love?" Alex asks, "What is it?"

J'onn opens the book and flips to a page with a young woman and cherry blossoms blooming out of her mouth. Flashes go through Alex's mind of Kara's incident a few days back and a chill goes down her spine.

"It's an ancient mythical lore of a disease known as hanahaki disease." J'onn explains, "Years ago, over 300 years ago, a woman fell in love with another. The woman in question was to marry a man in her village and the woman in love, who went by the name of Elphania, was heartbroken that the love was unrequited. She was so in love, her love caused a flower to bloom in her lungs and she'd have painfully hard moments coughing up bloody petals and cherry blossoms."

"So Kara has this mysterious disease?" Alex asks, her face turning white. "What happened next?"

"Unfortunately, the woman in question got married and Elphania died with a flower bursting out of her mouth.." J'onn sighs sadly

Alex turned sickly pale, "So Kara's going to die? Is that what you're telling me?"

"Well, we don't know that. There is a way to reverse the disease." J'onn says, "The love must be returned."

"If love is returned, the disease just.." Alex pauses, " Goes away ?"

"Yes," J'onn replies, "Other than that, there is no other cure I have heard of. It is believed that it was a curse, but nobody knows the true origin of the disease.

"Okay, thank you." Alex says. "Excuse me." she rushes off to call Kara.

"So let me get this straight." Kara says, "I have some weird, mythical unrequited love disease that only affects the supernatural, mythical, magical and paranormal ?" she asks anxiously. "All because I'm in love with Lena?" she asks again, "And the only way to reverse it is if she loves me back?"

"Yes." Alex replies. "You do."

"What the fuck?" Kara curses, "I don't want this disease!"

"I know Kara, and we'll try everything we can to help you. In the meantime-" Kara cuts Alex off,

"I know, in the meantime, keep distance from Lena." Kara sighs.

"I'm sorry, Kara." Alex says, "I wish I could do more."

"Please try Alex," Kara begs, "Please, I don't want to die!"

"Trust me, I don't want you to die either," Alex reminds her, "Have you ever considered telling Lena how you feel?"

"I can't." Kara replies, "She's in love with Jack. I'd never get in the way of that."

"Even if it's for your own good, Kara?" Alex asks.

"Alex, please." Kara says, "Just tell me you can find something."

"I don't know, Kar." Alex sighs, "I'll try okay, I promise my team and I won't give up until we have answers. Okay?"

"Okay." Kara sighs.

"Now, get some rest. I love you." Alex says.

"I love you too." Kara replies as she ends the call.