Chapter Three

Ping! Ping!

Ping! Ping!

 "We will be arriving at JFK airport in five minutes. Please put up your tray tables and fasten your seatbelts. Thank you for flying with Delta Air." the attendant on the loudspeaker announced. 

Passengers snapped their trays shut and clicked their seatbelts in place.

Annabeth rubbed the sleep from her eyes. She stretched her muscles because they haven't been used for almost five hours.

She stared out the window to see partial glimpses of the city. 

Steel gray clouds obscured her whole view of the city. She could see the Statue of Liberty and the Empire State Building. 

The irony of the situation was that all she wanted was to escape the gods, but now she was even closer to them than before.

Just her luck, her uncle lived in the heart of New York City. The plane started to slowly descend, the lights dimming slightly.

Rain poured down making it hard to see the airport clearly. The plane touched down, gliding on the slick runway. 

Chatter and conversation bubbled up as the plane stopped moving.
Many planned on visiting family and friends, while others were vacationing for the summer holidays. 

So many people came from far and wide. Annabeth could hear French, Spanish, and Italian being spoken as well as Mandarin.

"It is currently 6:30 Eastern Time, 45 degrees, and will have heavy showers for the rest of the morning. Thank you for choosing Delta Air. Have a safe trip." a different flight attendant spoke onto the loudspeaker.

Everyone became antsy and fidgety. 

They were ready to get off the Boeing 777-232 (ER/LR) plane. Annabeth's dad often went on and on about planes so much that she could identify almost any aircraft. 

People started to file out of the plane as soon as the door opened.

Many people stopped to grab their luggage from the overhead compartments. This meant the line was slow as molasses. 

Annabeth sighed leaning against her seat waiting for the line to move. She flexed her thigh muscles hissing from the pain she received from stretching them at first to relishing in the relief she felt afterwards.

"Excuse me, could you please help me? I can't seem to lift my bag from up there." an old woman pointed to her carpet bag.

Her saddle bag was green and covered in orange flowers. It had a thick leather handle attached to it that was shaped like a rectangle. Annabeth nodded and carefully lifted the bag from the overhead compartment.

The older woman smiled and hobbled towards the exit with Annabeth in tow. 

"Don't you have a bag, dear?" the senior citizen asked.