Chapter Eleven

Peter Parker was a mess

His eyes were lined with dark purple under circles, his hair was mused—not it's usually neat up-do, and his clothes hung off his sickly thin frame.

His movements were slow and his reflexes not as sharp as they previously used to be. Patrol was becoming harder and harder for the young vigilante. Criminals were even surprised by the usually energetic spider having none.

Homework felt endless and Flash—his bully, never seemed to give him a break. Constant jibes and taunts.

Worst of all, he was avoiding his idol—Mr. Stark.

He hated doing so, but it was for the best. He knew as soon as he walked in that lab Tony would sense something off about the kid. It was like he had a sixth sense.

A Peter sense.

Friday would also be a problem. She would scan him and notice his broken rib, cuts, and overall dehydration and report back to Mr. Stark, who would strap Peter to a hospital bed and take away his suit.

The young spiderling never wanted his suit taken away from him again. But, he truly looked ready to collapse at any given moment.

His friends became increasingly worried about his health. He wasn't eating as much as he used to. Peter didn't buy lunch anymore, trying to save the money his aunt usually gave him. He always put it back in the money jar on her dresser.

May had been out more and more, working late shifts at the hospital.

There had been a recent uprise in crime. Dead bodies have been found everywhere. Many were rushed to the hospital only to die right there. The strangest part was their body would fizzle out and turn to dust.

May Parker hated staying so late, but she had to make ends meet somehow.

Even his manager—Mr. Garcia became increasingly worried about the kid.

He didn't look like his happy cheery self anymore. Just a hollow exoskeleton of the boy he once was.

Peter even requested to work longer hours, but his manager declined saying that he was too young to work that many hours, in actuality he didn't want his best worker to push himself too hard.

Peter knew this and started working at Delmar's Sandwich shop. As soon as school let out he would run to Mr. Delmar's sandwich shop, finish at five, then head to Starbucks and work till ten.

Then patrol till three in the morning, sleep, and do it all over again. But tomorrow he was going to visit Mr. Stark. He had to. Just to show Tony that he was fine, which he wasn't, but Tony didn't need to know that.

The Next Day..

Peter took the subway, his hands clammy, his brain whirring with possible excuses he could give.