Chapter Five

Warm streams of light filtered in the room

Warm streams of light filtered in the room. Rays of the morning sunshine splashed against her skin, warming it slightly.
The aroma of coffee lingered in the air. Annabeth woke up from a dreamless, deep sleep. All she could remember was Steve wrapping gauze on her wounds in the medical center.
Everything past that was blank. Why was she back in her room? Who put her there? Her hands pulled the overly warm covers off of her body. They became too uncomfortable and hot.

She glanced at her nightstand to see a note written in tall, thin letters. It read

'Had to go on a mission with gramps and the others. Will be back soon. -TS'.

Annabeth smiled at the nickname Tony gave Captain America. The two were always bickering and having playful banter with each other. Tony had nicknamed everyone. He called Clint birdbrain, legolas, and katniss.
The last nickname really got to Annabeth, she couldn't help, but break into a smile when she thought about it. Tony compared Clint to Katniss from the Hunger Games.
Annabeth made her way to her bathroom. Her legs and arms felt as if they were made of lead. She could barely stand straight without tipping over or feeling sharp pains in her aching limbs.
The cool water felt refreshing against her face. It woke her up fully. She brushed her teeth. She made sure not to look in the mirror, she hated what she saw.

It was always the same; a scrawny girl with steel gray eyes, curly blonde hair, deep under circles that looked like bruises, and a pale complexion that was once sunkissed and healthy.
Annabeth released her curls from her plait she wove them into the night before. She let the hair sit on her shoulder blades and waterfall slightly onto her back. It was a strange sensation to feel her hair brush against her back, for she was so used to it being in a loose ponytail.
The fatigued teenager walked towards her closet, expecting it to be empty only to be shocked to see clothes there that actually fit her. Rows and rows of t-shirts, dresses, and pants all hung up neatly in her closet.
She picked out a pair of light wash skinny jeans and a basic t-shirt. She would have gone for the dark blue, white polka dot tank top, but she was too self conscious of her scars, even though she was alone in the tower.
Once dressed, she headed towards the kitchen. She was half expecting to see the team at the table, but she had to remind herself that they were off saving the world. She noticed there was a note taped to the fridge.
The handwriting was slightly curly as if the person couldn't decide to use print technique or script. It read

'There is a fruit salad and cold cuts, as well as bread here if you get hungry. Remember you need to eat. - Steve'

Annabeth smiled at Steve's note. It was sweet of him to remind her to eat. She looked closer to see there was more.

"P.S. Tony keeps a secret stash of oreo cookies in the cabinet above the stove. All the way behind the cans of beans... Enjoy!"